By Raffique Shah
September 19, 2018
Gary Griffith couldn’t have scripted a better opening act for his entry onto the national stage as the new Commissioner of Police, even if he were the Bard of Cascade or whatever suburb he lives in or comes from.
After six years of play-acting by career police officer Stephen Williams, and amidst much intrigue, controversy and good old Trinidad bacchanal over the selection of a new CoP, which featured principal parts played by politicians of every hue and persuasion, not to add cameos by a significant number among the “extras” in the 1.4 million population, Gary landed the starring role—and what an entry he made.
Continue reading Enter Gary Griffith: Act One
By Rickie Ramdass
May 31, 2016 – trinidadexpress.com
EIGHT of the ten men on trial for the murder of businesswoman Vindra Naipaul-Coolman, were found not guilty of the crime this afternoon.
Retrials have been ordered in the case of the two other murder accused.
The verdicts were announced at around 5.30p.m in the Hall of Justice, Port of Spain before Justice Malcolm Holdip.
Continue reading 8 not guilty, retrial for two: Vindra Naipaul-Coolman murder trial
By Alexander Bruzual
November 21, 2013 – newsday.co.tt
THE search for a two-year-old baby boy ended in tragedy yesterday afternoon after his body was found inside a cesspit located at the back of the child’s father’s Maracas/St Joseph home.
At about 1.15 pm yesterday police officers from the St Joseph CID and the Maracas Police Station, led by Sergeant Rene Katwaroo, made their way to the home of Allan Thomas, located along Santa Rita Trace, Lluengo Village, Maracas/St Joseph. The officers were responding to a report made by Thomas on Tuesday night, in which he alleged that his son, Jacob Munroe, two, had been kidnapped.
Continue reading BABY DEAD IN CESSPIT
May 1 2011 – newsday.co.tt
The recent kidnapping for ransom of a citizen of China who owned and operated a restaurant at St Helena has brought to the fore, once again, the question of illegal immigrants living and working in Trinidad and Tobago.
Speaking in Senate recently, Independent Senator Rolph Balgobin raised this issue.
Continue reading Strangers in our land
Kidnapped Chinese restaurant owner Xue Hua Shan
Cops step up search for kidnapped woman
Police probing the kidnapping of Chinese restaurant owner Xue Hua Shan said her relatives told them that the woman’s mother, in China, received a text message saying her daughter was released. The text message, police said, was sent in a Chinese dialect to Shan’s mother who lives in China. Investigators said they had not contacted Shan’s mother and did not know if the message was true or a hoax. But detectives said yesterday that they were still looking for Shan and had no concrete evidence she had been released by her kidnappers. The lawmen said they have stepped up their search for Shan after also receiving a message from someone who called the Piarco Police Station around 6.30 am yesterday, claiming she had been dropped off near a bridge in St Helena.
Continue reading Chinese Kidnapping – Slain Restaurant Owner