Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Re: The problem with Cosby
In Response To: Re: The problem with Cosby ()

OK. I have tried not to post regarding these discussions, but I just can't hold it in anymore.

First off- look how everyone is so adept at discussing the problems. We can go on and on about the problems and how well we understand them.

Karib, Curtis, Sesha- you all are obvious intelligent people- in fact the mere effort required to post your thoughts in a forum like this indicates that you are a couple of steps ahead of most people. But one thing the discussion lacks is progression, and this is emblematic of the mmm…(I'ma call it 'black') situation as a whole. Round and round we go. Bill Cosby is an Uncle Tom now- Curtis is an Uncle Tom as well, Karib is a backward reactionary, but not a leader, and Sesha is a conspiracy theorist. Look at all the labels we can give one another, but still no one has proposed a single solution.

Also let me say that Bill Cosby is right in the end he hopes to achieve, but he has a problem with the method of delivery...no WE have a problem with the method of delivery.

The same people that clap and laugh hysterically when Chris Rock expresses the same views as Cosby felt offended by Bill's statements. This is a problem with black people (and by this I mean 'Westernized' black people, not cats in Africa who look at the world in a markedly different way) not with Bill Cosby.

Karib, I know you get all heated when peoples' views seem to be 'bourgeois', but that is not it. The views are progressive. You can't say that black people in America don't need a kick in the ass from BLACK people. In fact I think anyone should be able to kick us in the ass, because many of us are an embarrassment. Or at least what black popular culture espouses about us is embarrassing. Now let me clarify- as I can imagine you must be fuming by now- I am a humanist. The struggle of the people in Darfur, Mogadishu, Haiti, East Timor, Myanmar, etc are of just as much importance to me as the racial problems inside the US.

I am wholly and unflinchingly committed to helping children (of any colour) realize and exceed their incredible potential. But as Curtis noted, if a child acts spoiled Karib, you don't seem like a woman that would reinforce their poor behaviour. So- once the child reaches an age of majority, let's say 18- it's time to treat them like adults. Period. And Karib, you should be able to voice your opinions to adults. You should be able to verbally kick them in the ass- girl; I even support the fact that my Mom kicked me in the ass on more than a couple occasions even before my 18th birthday.

Look, I can draw many juxtapositions between the effectiveness of Cosbys' message vs 50 Cent's, or Sharpton's vs Farrakhan's, reyreyrey. The fact is that, and here is where Karib is right- that there is no satisfaction in achieving if others don't rise with you as well. But Karib, you don't have any idea (or haven't given any ideas) of how this should happen. But let me make this clear:

IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN BY FEELING SORRY FOR OURSELVES! This has been proven by the mere existence of the present situation. Bill Cosby recognizes this! And he is becoming frustrated! Setha- you can't ignore companies like BET in the manipulation of non-white people. That channel is ass, at least in terms of it's 'commitment to uplifting black people'. We have them to thank for putting the term 'babys momma' into common usage. By the way, I am listening to the top BET25 countdown as I am writing...lol

But is it their responsibility to uplift black people anyway? No, it's their mandate to provide programming which supports a viewership large enough to command high ad revenue- like every other successful TV media company.

Karib, I don't know how old you are, but let me tell you this- I feel that we are old enough (and by we, I mean people that were up watching the news coverage of Cosby's statement) to say 'yeah'. I AM VEXED that he said that about my people, but yeah, he has a point. We can't talk like how we do amongst ourselves when we are in professional environments, and this goes for ALL people, not just black people- come on! My white friends use different grammar and vocab when they talk casually vs when they are in a professional environment. Everyone should, or does. This whole idea of Cosby trying to placate his white owners makes you sound immature. A wise brother said 'emancipate yourself from mental slavery'...and I encourage you to as well.

I am just saying this because I used to be like Karib, and like Setha when I was younger (I jus turned 28, so that's like almost 200 in dog years) - and now I am not like Curtis per se- but I understand his frustration as well. I tend to take an overarching view of the situation. Do you want 'white society' to give you something Karib? I am not sure what you want from them. Reparations? Reserves? Repatriation? They don't give white people anything. You think they give white people more bank loans for entrepreneurship. I am sure they do- but that’s only because there are far more whites in America than blacks. The banks give everyone a ruff time, trust me. They don't give a damn what race you are- they just check ya credit. And that’s WAY before they even agree to see you. Then they say NO, lol...

The main point I want to make is that we all seem to be making excuses, especially common is the one Karib makes, that we are in deep sh*t, and Bill Cosby and the other minority of the minority- successful blacks- have turned their backs on us to appease their white peers. Grow up. That is not the case. We are not weak by nature. So why are we acting weak. We can handle tough talk, tough love, can we not?

OK, solutions- this is the most important part- all that other ass we talk is of no consequence.

I am just going to give my idea for two countries, ones of particular interest to us: T&T, and the USA:

In T&T they need to get rid of the common entrance exam test for 10-112 yr olds. Period. You trying to tell me that the rest of my education is predicated upon me doing something well when I'm 11? Idiocy. Then education should be standardized, no colleges vs jr secs. You are making small children feel that they are smarter, or less intelligent than other children. This is archaic, and wrong. If everyone gets the same level of education- and I propose it should be of the highest order, then there can be no excuses. If any child that fails to achieve within the new system of scholarship, mentoring and tutoring the blame can be placed squarely on the parent(s).

This revised secondary system is augmented by scholarships given to any child who has the grades. That way if you achieve, you are rewarded. The only way out of poverty is education. At least on Earth.

And the US: Get rid of this 'affirmative action'. All it is doing is giving minorities another reason to feel dependent on white society- which in turn is angered by the discrimination. All scholarship applications whether to the govt, or to private institutions are decided on the basis of a serial number. No zip code, race, name, gender, or any other identifying characteristic. Period. Just your grades, and a corresponding number- that's all. This way, if you have the grades, and they have the space, you're in.

So, then what about the problems with the US secondary system, which at least according to major media is 'leaving children behind'. Once again- standardized education system, and teaching of the highest order. Teachers are paid the same throughout the public school system. Predominantly black schools should never = predominantly low achievement schools.

If we have standardized education, then any students that consistently show poor results, we can place the blame on their home environment (Obviously there may be other factors- learning disabilities, etc- but those should be able to be diagnosed and treated within the school system) and request they spend some extra time.

As an aside, I think it is particularly important in T&T to have another party come into the political arena. Coming here and seeing the facile, race-based politics, and ensuing arguments over responsibility in innumerable scandals makes me disappointed and frustrated. T&T needs a party that is truly multicultural. But this was a discussion about what to do for black people- not third world politics.

Now they are playing Kanye West's track on BET...so at least it's not all bad. But I still think that we rely too much on outside sources to give us our self-worth: Jesus, rims, clothing, big necklaces with our name on them. You know why the Jewish people are doing so well? You have to go back in European history...all the way to the dark ages. When all the populations were stuck in crippling poverty, and misery and idiocy were the norm, the jewish families made their children read, and study. Now today, they, with a population of under 30M worldwide (10M less than the number of black people just in America), are powerful enough to convince the US government to back them in anything they do, even if its apartheid.

It was just yesterday that the world court condemned their wall as an infringement on the Palestinians' rights. There was only one country in the entire UN that supported the Israelis...and who ya think that was?

'...now they heard ya blowin' up like nitro, so they wanna stick the knife thru ya windpipe slow...' Biggie Smalls tuffest MC of all time wasn't talking about white folks.

Motivate, educate, empower.

LOVE!

Messages In This Thread

The problem with Cosby *LINK*
Re: The problem with Cosby *LINK*
What is the difference between Cosby and Yunus?
it takes a nation of millions to hold us back
Re: The problem with my figures.
THE UNITED INDEPENDENT COMPENSATORY CODE/SYSTEM/CO
in amorica we have the right to speak
Re: in amorica we have the right to speak
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com