Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Re: The problem with Cosby
In Response To: The problem with Cosby *LINK* ()

The only problem with what Bill Cosby Said, was the fact that many blacks don't want to take responsibility for their own faults. Kweisi Mfume, the NAACP president who was on stage with Cosby, said later that not only did he agree with Cosby, not only did he make similar points in his own speeches, but that he had just heard the same points made by the philosophers in his barbershop.

Bill Cosby, an incomparable philanthropist and social satirist, gets attacked by the political correctness police for speaking his mind, telling some hard truths and airing some dirty laundry. Thats just shows the world part of the sickness that the diaspora and the socieconomic structure lead by racism has affected the minds of millions.

Bill Cosby was write in everything he said. His only flaw was not providing a solution to the problems he has seen. He didn't say that he was going to do this to eliminate that sort of "grammer" or lifestyle. None of the speakers did. They call themselves leaders and voices for the black community. They voice their opinions on what needs to be done, but not on a plan to make it happen.

I was educated in the best public school districts in the state and the top ten in the country. I remember my black peers refering to me as a sell out because I spoke "Good" English. I remember being mocked because I wasn't as ghetto as the next person was acting. You speake of Black proffessionals in Trinidad, but I grew up with them here. My community is in no way representative of the nation, but it proves that we as minorities can achieve whatever we want to do if we want to do it. Bill Cosby is just saying that there are too many of us who have given up the fight for a better life. I;m saying there are too many of us who have not because we want not blamming members of our same racial and ethnic group for having more because they wanted more. Everyone atleast thirty- six and under should be able to identify the eight parts of speach and know how to use them. If we do not, it is only because we choose not. The poorest inner city school districts always seem to have somone or groups of people moving on to college and better lives.
After segregation was broken down, and we were legally ably to gain fairness, we became distracted by things that could only harm us as a people. Whites don't have to bring guns and drugs into the ghetto's, because there is always some ignorant black a- hole who is going to go out and steel it. He won't do it because he is black per se. His race is not the only determining factor. It has much to do with community, self perception, economics, employement, substance abuse (legal- or illegal) compesation for the risk, genes, etc... and how all of these factors have impacted tis one human beings reality. He will get arrested and perhaps beaten and we will be in an upraor about brutality, but noone dare to point out prevention better than cure. I may be wrong for saying this, but with some of the decisions that are made by our group, it is easy to see why "massa" wanted to treat us like kids. We act like a culture of kids SOMETIMES. We comedown on Bill Cosby because he stresses in his own way concearn for our community, but we rally behind R Kelly, and Micheal Jackson. If we steal something, we feel that nothing should happen to us as long as it is recovered or we get away. I don't care what race you are, if you steel from me, I will make you pay or do my best trying.

Last, I just want to say that maybe the breakdown in the message Bill Cosby tried to relay to the audience went over their heads. I'm sure that had to be the problem. Anyone who has driven through a major city on Martin Luther king BLVD or sorrounding area has had to see or heard what Bill Cosby was referring to. The media knew that this would get the house and the feild in a clash. With their lack of initiative to take advantage of a free education, they were unable to comprehend being talked to instead of at. Noone can blame the lack of being able to speak english well and conducting ones self respectably in public on being directly related to White oppression or racism. We have a problem with it because we have a problem with everything as a miserable people. I'm convinced we are more miserable now than what we were sixty years ago because we have noone to blame. We may not be responsible for fallig down, but we are responsible pulling ourselves up. I ask, how long are we going to stay on our knees watching the left hand battle the right for the grip that could take us the rest of the way?

Messages In This Thread

The problem with Cosby *LINK*
Re: The problem with Cosby *LINK*
What is the difference between Cosby and Yunus?
it takes a nation of millions to hold us back
Re: The problem with my figures.
THE UNITED INDEPENDENT COMPENSATORY CODE/SYSTEM/CO
in amorica we have the right to speak
Re: in amorica we have the right to speak
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com