Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Re: What is this preoccupation with black unity

So you want to play that game pal. I can tell you this, I live and have lived for most of my life in multicultural communities n the United States. I have never lived in a "black" community nor a "white" community etc. I don't live in a ghetto, and have not since before I started school. As far as I'm concearned, the "black" community as a land mass in the urban ghetto of the United States is not where I would want to focus my fight in total. What you fail to realize is that there is no real concentrated "black" community where you can find every social class level. At the same time, we all suffer from varying degrees of racism which in itself keeps us semi-united. Other than social racism, there is nothing to keep the "group" together.

I don't know if you remember when I told you that part of the "black" problem in the U.S. is from members of the same identity. If you can remember far enough back I said that we have to take charge of our own situation and do the best we can for ourselves. It is with that beleif that the "group" will strengthen and be able to obtain our "freedom".When I say freedom, I don't neccesarily mean being equal to whites.

Lets take a look at that. Would I want to be equal to the stereotype of a West Virginian "white" person, or maybe a "white" person that owns his own downtown Manhatten Condo? Maybe I'll go for the gusto and demand the same equality and fairness that Bill Gates has.

Economics plays the biggest part to racism and violations toward "equality" and social status. It's not just what you look like. Now, I'm not saying that I have or am trying to buy my freedom. I am saying that as the economics, and the social status of the "black" community improves, you will here less and less about racism in the way it historically existed. There are many people of all different ethnic backgrounds that are well to do, but are not free, and furthermore are second class citizens in the societies in which they reside. The reason for this is because the societies in which they reside view them as different or less. The reason you may here more about the plight of "blacks" is because of the destruction of the community. Keep in mind, thet there was nor is any interference for other groups that migrate to this country by the government or "powers that be" in this society to prevent them from unifying in their newly formed communities when they first get here. That is a major step in the development of any group as they find their niche in the United states because of our unwritten policies on immigration.

I do acknowledge why you placed your emphasis on unity, I just don't think it applies in todays society in the way I speculate that you do. Is there a need for more "black" proffesionals in todays society outside of entertainers? The answer is yes. Do they all need to live right next door to each other? The answer is no. The reason being is because they haven't been that way since the breakdown of segregation which in itself has caused more harm than good for our ethnic group.

So I can see and understand the corlation between somone as yourself sugesting that "blacks" need a master in order to be happy even though I disagree with it. In an earlier post I even carlessly made the same mistake in a comment about Haiti. When you look at that nations history and how they gained independence from France. Groups of people who have lived under oppressed conditions only to awake and gain freedom all to quickly without working through all of the social ills of a community in order (in this case) to find their niche in the world in which they reside. Another point is that they have to recognize the world around them and how it has changed while they were asleep in bondage.

I believe that if "blacks" were at certain times in history "allowed" to work through the social ills of any impoverished group that has obtained instant "equality", that as a group you would find them at the same status as any other group in this nation or any other nation in compared to/ with "black" nations versus nations of other ethnic groups. As a matter of fact, my group may have by now have been considered the Global "masters" considering all of the reasources in our possesion including that of land and minerals in Africa. I predict that will happen sooner or later with historic results (even if not in my lifetime) when the world is presented to my snoring brothers and sisters as how it really was and how it really can be. I remember you saying that it would be good if the Africans (people who are not only from one of the indigenous cultures or countries but also who reside on that landmass now commonly known as Africa) would be better off if they distance themselves from American blacks ( people who are of African decent physically residing in the United States who may still obtain some cultural traits from their enslaved ancestors who suffered a genocide under oppression and forced labor). I disaggree. When you think about it, who is in a better position to strike deals with one another because of the role played by Europeans on both continents in reference to darker skinned people with common ancestry? It is true that African Americans are more like their European neighbors than that of their African brothers, but not enough to recognise the value of such a union.

That brings us back to unity. Do we need to walk hip to hip down Pensylvania Aveenue singing we shall over come, or should we protest in a even more silent but powerful way such as the Japanese did after World War Two? I would go with the second option. Take what you have and maximise the potential of your resources. The Japanese realised that they could not fight the U.S. head to head in that time with the weapons eached country possesed in a "traditional" war. Look at todays world. They design and produce most of the goods that the world uses to comfort itself. Their economy is among the strongest if not the strongets. They basically own Hawaii. They have lost alot in reference to tradition, but they gained much more in maintaining a stable nation that rivals that of the U.S. or it's European allies.

Lets review.

African Americans have freedom and equality. It has turned out to be a double edged sword out of the circumstances of slavery, and the sudden breakdown of segregation in the way that it was carried out. Not only do African Americans have freedom and equality to succeed, we have it to fail. Failure seems to be the likely path because of the lack of "home based" culture, but success is enevitable because of not only the recognition of the present culture, but the acknowledgement of the "home based" culture.

Racial assimilation even though not wanted by many in the nation/ world is not wanted, but almost inevitable because of a shrinking globe. Since the African gene is the dominant gene, people of the world outside of those from stronger African lineages will continue to keep becomming more African in appearence. Culturally since people of African decent dominate entertainment, the accepted social norm for many different nations will continue to be determined by those of that group.

As the economics, education, and families of people of primarily African desent strengthen and grow, freedom with out the European grant will be as absolute as the local society shall determine. More attention to the issues of the suffering people world wide will come to the forefront instead of being "swept under the rug".

My goal through my post is to refine my knowledge along with my position on various subjects not only concearning the United States, but the people of Trinidad and Tobago. I need to gain more knowlegde, and formulate an official plan to by which I can stick to with all of my means. That is a difficult task because the world is ever evolving. I have to start somewhere. I hope your not Predictable with your usually negative response. Like I have said before. The worst thing to do now is to strap up arms and create more distrust. I could care less about the racial demographics of T-N-T because I feel that if you have some history on the islands and you love the Nation, you are Trini. I feel that if Trinidad was United and focused on the future in the best iterest of it's people, then it could be the Japan of the carribean as far as economics and social stability go. Not to mention, but I have a great deal of family there that I love and care about. Even the ones that I never met. Furthermore, pay close attention to last years song Islands in the Sun. That should give you enough motivation to keep T-N-T "pure" if not trying to make it that way.

I will go on record with you by saying, that I need to try to help clean up my own backyard before I can mow the grass in another yard. However, I feel that my yard stretches the boundaries of my reach and there fore owe it to mankind to do my best. The world is not only mine, but it belongs too all of us. What are you going to do to help with the clean up? I'm tired of typing , so I rest my case here for now.

Messages In This Thread

What is this preoccupation with black unity
Re: What is this preoccupation with black unity *LINK*
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com