Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Re: What is this preoccupation with black unity

I have always believed culture is more important than race in todays world. However, you must realize that that statement alone puts various people on the defensive for obvious reasons. People who live in multi cultural societies are marketing their various cultures daily or more. When trying to determine the identity of any multicultural society, there is always a struggle for retaining peices of ones cultural identity out of familarity or comfort or both.

In the U.S., the problem is a little more difficult. There are so many disenfranchised people of various cultures who would not like to have a mutual agreement as to what the national culture should be. I don't think that people need to sit down to a board meeting to determine what it should be and how it should look. If anything, they should sit down and decide how every child has an excellent chance at becomming what they want to be in the future.The formation of culture in a "new" nation is the determining factor as to whether the "newly formed" culture will be racially charged with negative implications for the country.

I believe that in the United States, that race played an all to negative role in the formation of that culture. First, we can start with the Native Americans and how they were forced into practicing their tradition on reservations, in Mexico, or just wiped out totally. The colonialist that came to what is now known as the United States did not seek any level of assimilation nor did they respect any other group that didn't share the same cultural values as one of European background. There has always been a struggle for power and always will be because race and culture were the tools to identify status.

Trinidad and Tobago is a young nation. That country has all of the ability in the world to organize as the idea nation for the New Millenium. The people there for the most part already have a culture indigenous to the two islands. Thats why I stand where I stand on immigration. Not only in the case of the United States, but for Trinidad and Tobago. When too many people immigrate from one coulture to another, the social fabric is disturbed at a rate that most people can't adjust. Immigration can come in more than just the physical way of a person moving from one nation to another. Actually, when ideas are imported from one country to another, it can be just as destructive. If you look at how the world has become more "Americanised" culturally you can understand how immigration is more than just physical. The world is worse for the implementation of "American" ideas in foreign lands. The reason being is that the Idea spreads faster than people can obsorb, interpret/ internalise and then release it. What you have in return are groups of traditionalist and then there are the people who have been effected that disturb the socail fabric and try to rip down the nations norm. Newly formed Nations in my opinion should perform a social inventory in order to determine their niche as a nation united through culture in the world they live. T-n-T has to deal with it's own social ills before it should look for foreign settlement on it's shores. If company's would like to invest in Trinidad and Tobago, they should have to train Trinibagonians and then allow them to fill the majority of the positions of that company for at least five years of operation in the country. A person should have to go through a strict immigration procedure that not only envolves the understanding of the history of the Nation, but the effect the history had on the people and theevolution of what is now known as Trini.

Culture is very important in a multicultural society while race means absolutly nothing if the people of that society can block out the ills from the outside world. Race in that sense wouldn't necessarily matter as much because out of that understanding of social distance, the generalization that race provides would be irrelevent. I can provide you with a personal example. My parents of the same race, but different cultures divorced about six years into their marriage. I can assure you that the problems that they had with one another was a result out of two things. Culture, and communication were the base for the breakdown of their holy union. Communication may have been a personal issue. At any rate, race in that sense had nothing to do with the destruction of their marriage.

Now on the other hand, in the world we live in dominated by U.S. policy, race has alot to do with the coheseivness of global society. It's changing at a snails pace, but right now race is the reason why Europe was stabilised first as a region. It is the reason why there was a diaspora that has continued to affect the people of African Decent throughout the world. Race is the reason why people of variuos groups were not allowed to fairly compete for economic and political growth within the United states. Race is the reason why U.S. officials continue to import drugs, and export weapons. Race is still the reason why Haiti is not the Hawaii of the Carribean. Maybe thats culture also. Too many sword swinging radicals, but you get the point. Race, along with culture is the reason why the U.S. government is investing so much time into creating disturbances in the southewest Asia region. I say culture, because the U.S. doesn't have enough operatives that could infiltrate the countries of that area in order to carry out distruction from within.

Race and the evil application was the reason why Europe has always categorized different peoples and cultures. They created a whole science for it. Anthropology is the study of man which happens to be the excuse for why people are subscribing to false notions about themselves in order to find their pace in society. You can't act a color, but you can take on beliefs a belief system that happens to be practised by a group of people. That doesn't mean that your trying to be anything other than what you are, but you are trying to adegree assimilate yourself with ones culture. Anthropologist went around and gathered information on different groups of people under the false pretense of scientist, and reporrted back to European governments of what the "native" are like and how will they most likely respond to our game? That was bassically the train of thought comming in and out of Europe and continued with the development and industrialization of the United States. Since the United States became the most powerfull nation in the world outside of the Former Soviet Union, the rest of the world during the cold war waspraising a nation for reasons they did'nt understand. Yes the United States has done some good things in medicine, technology, and probably most notable, popular culture. At the same time most of this was developed out of racism and disguised to be good and beneficial.

Race matters and is important as long as we alloow it to be, but it is my firm belief that culture is more important and if used right can be the bridge for humanity.

When I spoke of strapping a bomb on my back etc, I was refering to what is happeninig in the world today as desperate people fight to hold onto the sanctity of their culture. Western Anthroplogist have decided that the presently existing culture is not good enough and haven't provided a answer as to why. It seems to me that in away the United States is involved in another genocide of sorts, but only can justify it with the premise of national security and for the best interest of the U.S. people along side the world. Tisk, Tisk, Tisk,. To answer your question on what can I do in that situation, the answer is I don't know. I feel talking about it is a start because too many people are uninformed on the U.S. and it's real history. Maybe for good reason. Ignorance is bliss and if the world knew what we were up to, than the world would cease to exist as we know it.You have to awaken people to whats going on before you can formulate a plan. There is no one man that can take on the world.

Messages In This Thread

What is this preoccupation with black unity
Re: What is this preoccupation with black unity *LINK*
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com