Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Re: What is this preoccupation with black unity

First, I would like to say that the U.S. is not really a Christian society. Given, it's laws and very basic social ideology were founded on a one sided view of Christianity. I can understand your point, but an explanation is much more difficult. I suggest you examine Christainity from the minority veiw point from around the world. I know that you keep trying to isolate the subject matter to the U.S.. One has to acknowledge that there are know true Americans who effect anything having to do with global policy. So what you have in sense is groups of people who have removed themselves from their former countries. They have brought with them certain traditions from their homelands and implied them to their current society. The traditions and customs that have obtained a strong foothold in the United States are those of the dominant culture. The colonised took on the religions and faiths of their oppressors. The rest made the decision on their own merrit. The Nation Of Islam for example. I have to say, that I may not have the knowledge to answer your question. I can however say that the Version of Christainity that has become the symbol of the United States on a global crusade sprang up out of Europe by it's poor, uneducated trashhy exiles for the most part. I think minorities can accept or have accepted christianity for the most part because after not being able to practice their own indigenous faiths, they started practicing what was provided for them. In reading the Ten Commandments, and the rest of the Bible, it is my belief that in converting to Christianity, most minorities were able to seperate the bringers of the faith from the faith itself. The bringers of the "Good News" had nothing to do with the creation of the books. The books speak of something greater than man. The religion itself is not the problem. The problem is that there are too many people with power who have and are committing unspeakable acts in the Christian name. By the way, I am not of any particular faith, but I was raised a Christain. My personal conflict with Christainity came from the idea that I was supposed to believe something that was altered by corrupt kings in Europe used to keep their people oppressed. Work hard and suffer today in hope that you will one day be rewarded. That doesn't rest well with my soul. It would be different if I could obtain the original scripts and be able to translate them for myself. To put it simple, the spread of Christainity, and it's promotion from minoritiy people stems from Colonization. Also, I would like to add that even when a population is colonized, they are part of the overall society. With that in mind, they (minorities/ the colonized) play their part in the promotion of that society mostly because thats all they know.
Last, I would like to say that if I have not already, that the United States is not a Christian country just like English is not really the official language. People can practice what they want too an extent, and do as they want. There is a seperation from Church and State. It just so happens that the powers that be claim to subscribe to the Christian notion. Don't be frustrted that I may or may not have answered your question. Since we are being civil on this subject of relgion, I would like to elaborate more on the subject matter in a different post. so that we can build with more minds. I t's hard to start with a general subject matter and try to discuss it from the simplified view out instead of the opposite. We should start wide and then narrow it down.

Messages In This Thread

What is this preoccupation with black unity
Re: What is this preoccupation with black unity *LINK*
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com