Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Re: What is this preoccupation with black unity *LINK*

You have made some interesting points in your post and I must indeed give you credit for your understanding of events, which have contributed to the African circumstance in America. Please correct me if I am wrong, but your statement
"When Haiti became the first Free African State in the West...That would have ruined the United States considering there were more Africans here than Europeans." Gives the impression that at some point in the history of the United States, Blacks outnumbered Whites.
If this was your intent, your assertion is incorrect. According to the US Census records Blacks/African-Americans have always hovered around the 10th percentile mark of the total population.
From the Reconstruction Period in 1867 until the end of the Harlem Renaissance in the 1920's: African-Americans had managed to make great strides in terms of their economic, political and social welfare. All this occurred despite state and federal segregation laws, countless lynchings and the destruction of several thriving African-American communities. I mentioned Rosewood, Florida likening it to the Monterey fire and destruction of the Chinese fishing community, China Point. Similarities could also be drawn between the Chicago riots of 1919 and the China Point incident since in both cases the primary perpetrators were Italian immigrants. In these instances and others such as Tulsa, Oklahoma, prospering minority communities were destroyed by members of the majority White population. Tulsa, Oklahoma was once nicknamed the Black Wall Street. It took more than a generation for a new Black consciousness to arise out of the ashes and form the Civil Rights movement of the 1960's. I once read a psychological analysis that proposed the reason why Blacks destroyed their own communities during the sixties riots was to avoid its usurpation by Whites.
What configuration will the revolution take next time? I can claim no knowledge, I may not even be around to witness it but it is coming. Next time it will not be subdued by torching our communities and confiscating the spoils, for we are everywhere. Nor will it be subdued by cutting off its head, a la Malcolm and Martin because leadership will be a consensus. The rumblings you read on this forum are only futile expressions of hope by those who live in fear of the inevitable.

Messages In This Thread

What is this preoccupation with black unity
Re: What is this preoccupation with black unity
Re: What is this preoccupation with black unity *LINK*
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com