CRIMINAL STUDENTS

By Richardson Dhalai
February 24 2016 – newsday.co.tt

TIM KEE MUST GO!CRIMINAL students are among the population of the Chaguanas North Secondary School and Minister of Education Anthony Garcia, yesterday pledged to have them removed.

As a start, Garcia revealed that 24 students — identified as ring leaders in the delinquency that has plagued the school — are to be sent home with immediate effect.

Following a return visit to the school yesterday, this time along with Minister of National Security Edmund Dillon, Garcia told reporters, “I have taken a decision, a definite decision, that I will not tolerate indiscipline and violence in our schools. My mantra is no school indiscipline, no violence in schools.” Dillon also said the country may have to consider boot camps for delinquent students as Garcia said he will be looking at ways in which the students who are removed from the school could be reintegrated into the system.

Garcia returned to the school yesterday following his presence there last Friday in response to the disclosure that some students, supported by criminal elements, were planning to stage a gun attack and even kill a teacher and other students.

The Minister was in Tobago until Monday evening where he hosted the final sessions of the national consultation on education.

In making the visit to the central school again yesterday, the Minister wanted to ensure the suggested ramping up of security was in place and working, and he also wanted to continue discussions with the Principal, teachers and other personnel on the way forward.
Full Article : newsday.co.tt

1 Responses to “CRIMINAL STUDENTS”


  • Teens plead guilty to threat charges

    By Jensen La Vende
    February 24, 2016 – guardian.co.tt

    Two teenagers of the Chaguanas North Secondary School appeared in court on Monday and yesterday charged with threatening to kill a security guard and threatening to physically harm a teacher.

    The two teen boys are alleged to have threatened their female authority figures last week prompting classes to be dismissed early when school officials received information of a planned gun attack by gang members with close links to students attending the school.

    Last Friday, one of the teens, a 14-year-old Third Form student of the school, appeared in court charged with obscene language. He was then denied bail by Magistrate Wendy-Ann Doughdeen-Bally and ordered to return to court on Monday. He pleaded not guilty then to the charge.

    On Monday the teen, with his mother, was informed that additional charges were laid against him.

    The charges were using threatening language and assault by threatening to kill a female security guard.

    The teen pleaded guilty to the three offences and was granted $5,000 bail. He was ordered to return to court on March 1. The magistrate also ordered that a probation officers report be submitted before she sentenced the teen.

    Yesterday, a schoolmate of the 14-year-old appeared before Doughdeen-Bally and pleaded guilty to threatening to inflict grievous bodily harm against his geography teacher.

    The fifth former was granted $10,000 bail and a probation report was also ordered before sentencing is handed down. He is to reappear in court on March 8.

    Source: http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2016-02-23/teens-plead-guilty-threat-charges

Comments are currently closed.