Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Re: The New Atlantis
In Response To: The New Atlantis *LINK* ()

For your information, Hip-Hop as we know it did originate in New York City. Louis Armstrong and his Jazz had blues roots. What words do these Carolina "negreos" use that is not in English? Are we speaking in terms of sentence structure or words from a particular language that have been identified by the masses who speak that particular language to mean or have the same identifiable definition? Yes there are similarities when it comes to sentence structure, dietary preparation, and in music, but not enough to link culturally Americanised Africans as a result of slavery with those of Africa today.

I find one of your statements at first to be amusing and then shameful for someone with so much promise for it's hypocracy displayed by it's user."The truth is that for too many westernized people of color, nothing has value unless sanctioned by "Whitey." Weren't you the one who listed all of the "accomplishments" as if those "accomplishments in the terms of money made US seem to be just as good as "Whitey"? Is if thats my bar to gage my/ our potential. The nerve. Please never apologize for me. Gullah. I see you must be on the west coast and must be one of these foolish "sistas" who believe in Ebonics as a viable excuse for why modern day decendents of slavery don't and won't excell in English even though this is the only language that they know. When you get a chance to fight for our children in school, try fighting for languages from the Western coast of Africa to be offered in the public schools. Then you can speak to me about language links between Africans in the United States and Africans in continent one. You said,"The reason why I brought up language is because it is my beleif and possibly fact that language is a huge part of culture." underscores his self-contempt, if he is an African identified American". My response is Yes I'm African American politically speaking and primarily genetically speaking. If I were content, then I wouldn't engage in these little "building" sessions, so please stop trying to label me or put me in a box. Language is a huge part of culture, but the language that most African Americans speak has more connection with this place called the U.S. than it does Africa and so does the culture in which they have chosen. THAT IS WHY IT WILL BE DIFFICULT IF NOT IMPOSSIBLE FOR THE PEOPLE OF AFRICA AND THERE FORMERLY ENSLAVE COUSINS/BROTHERS TO REUNITE AS A TEAM FOR NOT ONLY SURVIVAL, BUT PROSPERITY. The only thing that I can agree with you on is from the last part of your post. You said,"If the Afro-Caribbean islands are looking to Afro-Americans to lead them to the Promised Land, they will be sorely disappointed. A unified Caribbean will do much more for Diaspora Africans than ten million African-American, athletes, entertainers, doctors, lawyers and preachers". You are right about that. OF course because in order for lives to really change and shift, you have to stir the minds and emotions of the people. The people are the masses not the entertainers and the person who has obtained every college credential "Whitey" could say they earned. No! It has to start from the bottom like music hip- hop for example no matter where you believe that it originated. Stokley Charmicheal (however you spell his name) wasn't a panther before Huey P Newton. Cassius Clay didn't convert to Islam before Malcolm Little. Do your work at the grassroots level not here in this forum sending love notes to me. POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Messages In This Thread

When Will It End?
patience is a virtue
Re: When Will It End?
The New Atlantis *LINK*
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com