Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Re: When Will It End?
In Response To: When Will It End? ()

You asked," So, without taking a position on the above observations, when, if ever, will the black man embark on a journey that is self validating and leads to a retention of his culture."
My answer is another question. Is it possible for Americanised Africans to to embark on a journey that is Self Validating and leads to the retention of his culture? The reason why I ask is this. Americanised Africans speak "English" or try to speak something that uses some English words but has weird pronunciations in some cases. In becomming Americanised, they have in their/ our situation not been able/ allowed to retain any cultural links with their tribes in Africa. The reason why I brought up language is because it is my beleif and possibly fact that language is a huge part of culture. What a particular word means to me in my language or the language in which I speak, may not mean the same or be interpreted in the same manner as I would being a native speaker. The question is or should be is it possible?

When you hear of some "Americans" saying that something is black culture and yet it didn't originate in Africa, don't you ever wonder how that could be? For Example, Hip- hop. It may have started in the streets of New York by a person or people of African decent, but aren't they more American than African making their music American as well as the culture of hip hop? Rock and Roll although now most artist are white was was considered "nigger" music refering to the music that at the time "Americanised Africans" were listening to. Now Rock and Roll is considered to be as American as apple pie.

People around the world fail to realize that as they push to Americanise themselves in some way or another, that they give up some seemingly insignificant part of their culture that causes them to loose control of their identity. As they seek to become something else or more like somone else, they leave behind what they are to become absorbed in the "likeness" of something seemingly "greater" wich in return has it's own plan for that culture. Now imaganie having no choice at all. In that situation, a particular group or culture would have to start all over again, and it wouldn't take long if they were isolated. Unfortunately, in the case of Americanised Africans, there is an ever shrinking and more competative world to live in. When you add social politics and economics to the picture, it becomes even more interesting.

It is my beleif that we cannot be seperate from the former masters because we have even as shamefull as it sounds have been assimilated into a cultural norm of degredation against people like us. We cannot separate because in order to do so would translate into overcomming the former masters until they cease to exist as we know them today. There would have to be a consensus of radical minds ready to unite to break the machine that was created by massas fore fathers. That or assimilate completely with various African groups.

Realistically, none of those are options.

Messages In This Thread

When Will It End?
patience is a virtue
The New Atlantis *LINK*
Re: The New Atlantis
Re: The New Atlantis
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com