Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Lara now highest Test scorer

ADELAIDE: West Indian batsman Brian Lara last night added another record to his glittering resume when he became the highest scorer in Test cricket.

On the second day of the Third Test against Australia, (Saturday Australia time) Lara flicked fast bowling nemesis Glenn McGrath for a single to surpass Alan Border's 11,174 runs.

The left-hander already holds the record for the highest Test innings (400 not out) and the highest First Class score (501 not out).

Lara also has 31 Test centuries.

He was eventually out for 226.

Lara had earlier silenced his critics with the unbeaten double-century on the opening day of the Test match.

The 36-year-old left-hander, who had been under fire after a string of moderate scores in the two previous Tests with critics claiming his best days were behind him, responded in magnificent fashion.

Lara made 202 not out to help his struggling team end the first day at Adelaide Oval on 352 for seven. He needs just 12 more runs to pass Allan Border's world record of 11,174 for the most Test runs.

"I've been working hard all series without much success but I was still feeling good," Lara told a news conference. "I was making starts and getting to double figures but just not going on it with it, but I knew it was just around the corner."

Lara, who made the first of his 31 Test hundreds against Australian in Sydney in 1993 with a memorable 277, said he had targetted the final Test in Adelaide as his chance for another huge score.

He began yesterday's innings cautiously as a mark of respect to the Australian bowling attack of Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath, Brett Lee and Stuart MacGill but exploded after lunch to end the day with 20 boundaries to his credit.

"We're not going to be playing Test cricket for three months so I was really looking forward to this particular Test match," Lara said. "I know I'm playing against a world class so I had to build a foundation.

"I know that they're capable of getting me out but there comes a time when you have to pick the momentum up and dictate to them.

"You give them their hour but once you know the pace and the bounce of the pitch and what the bowlers have got to offer, you have to go out there and not be intimidated."

MacGill, who captured the wickets of Dwayne Bravo and Dwayne Smith, said it was difficult to bowl to Lara when he was in that sort of mood.

"It was a bit of a challenge for all the bowlers today," MacGill said. "Most of us knew this was just around the corner so I'm not going to say that it was a surprise because it certainly wasn't.

"You're definitely tempted to try and contain someone of that class and in that form but I think can be a mistake. You still have to attack and be looking for a wicket."

West Indies finished the day with their highest score of the series but Lara was still wary about his team's prospects.

"Five years ago we were in the same situation and we lost the match quite comfortably so I'm quite aware of exactly what we've got to do tomorrow," Lara said.

MacGill said he also believed the match was in the balance but could hinge on how many more runs Lara made. "I'm reluctant to give it to either side at this stage," MacGill said.

"If Australia come out and tomorrow morning and finish the innings off in the first half hour then it's been a worthwhile day for us but it's still dangerously poised particularly with Brian still in there.

"I think once he knocks off these (12) runs we might seem him take most of the strike so that's something for our bowlers to deal with."

http://www.newsday.co.tt/stories.php?article_id=31082

Messages In This Thread

Brian Lara - Most Runs in Test Cricket (video)
Brian Lara - Test Cricket's Record Run-Scorer
Lara ends Border's reign
Magic Lara breaks record
Lara now highest Test scorer
List of scorers of most centuries in Test cricket
Manning calls Lara 'His Excellency'
The Lara story in numbers
All hail the new King of runs
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com