Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Doh Worry Sat, Something Was Done For Trini ...

Doh Worry Sat, Something Was Done For Trinidadian Culture

I would like to allay Sat Maharaj's concerns that nothing was done for East Indian Culture in the 2005/2006 'National' budget. The key word here is 'National' and as a citizen, a 'national' of Trinidad and Tobago I would like to assure Sat that something was done for our 'national' heritage. The government is moving to transform the 'National' Steel Orchestra into a full symphony and it will be ready for presentation to the 'national' and international community.

I would have thought that Sat along with other 'nationals' like myself would have been delighted by this move, considering that the steel pan is the 'national' instrument of our beloved country and is therefore representative of all 'nationals' irrespective of ethnic origin.

Needless to say I would like to agree with Sat that "anybody arriving at Piarco Airport will never think that 43 per cent of the population of this country are Indians because there is nothing at the airport to tell them." See what Sat apparently doesn't know is that Indians live on a Continent somewhere in Asia called India and so it would be a travesty for our government to contribute to Indian culture, a culture that belongs to a foreign country. I'm always amused by people like Sat who make statements like these, yet when people of Indian decent from this country take up citizenship in places like Canada, they're proud to let everyone know that they're Canadian and not Indian.

Sat went on to say that all people will see at the airport is a big steel pan but nothing that would tell tourist that Trinidad is a multicultural society. But the steel pan is the 'national' instrument of our multicultural 'nation', is Sat not a 'national' of this country? What culture does Sat think the steel pan represents?

Sat said Mr. Manning is sending the message that Trinidad is a mono culture society. You are wrong as usual Sat, Mr. Manning is sending the message that this is a mono 'national' society, we are all Trinidadians. If you insist otherwise that you're an Indian then please feel free to migrate to India.

Oke Zachary

Messages In This Thread

Doh Worry Sat, Something Was Done For Trini ...
We are nationals of different races
Re: We are nationals of different races
Re: Doh Worry Sat, Something Was Done For Trini ..
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com