Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Re: Race and Racism needs to be discussed

Your first quote which u implied I wrote is incorrect. The original post by M. Gale contained that.

Curtis Dogheal McTavish said: "You see my brother, we cannot let the hate for white people eat us away into bitterness for controling" the mainstream" when we support them in every way by our actions."

You attempt to portray my explanation of the myth of multiculturalism as 'hate for white people'. This is a defense mechanism that i am quite familiar with. You did not address what I wrote.

Furthermore, in response to this: "The enslavement of Africans was so economically beneficial to Europe that a wide range of reasons were concocted to justify this continued practice. Out of this period, arose notions of African (dark skin) inferiority. In colonial society, the social hierarchy was one of white over brown over black. The social relations were further complicated with the arrival of East Indians; East Indians were seen as inferior to the Europeans but superior to the Africans. The African phenotype was associated with ugliness, his character portrayed as criminal, lazy and dishonest and his institutions, norms and culture seen as pagan, evil and primitive".

You said this: "While this may all be true, you fail to aknowledge the real problem. The diaspora has been so successfull that in many cases the dispersed Africans don't want to marry Africans from the motherland. Dispersed Africans don't trust their brethren enough to invest in the mother land eventhough many economist have stated that by doing so (investing) would be a win win situation with promising returns and growth. We have to be responsible for the way we a re treted for allowing it to happen. You and I should be setting up shop right now in west Africa especially Liberia. No we would rather discuss the effects of colonialsm instead of doing what we can to use the knowledge that we have reaped to build a stronger Africa."

It is telling that you associate whatever you deem to be Diaspora success with ‘not wanting to marry continental Africans’. Anyways, you state that Africans from the diaspora do not trust continental enough to invest in Africa This is reflective of a colonial mentality, but yet you are against the effects of colonialism being addressed. In doing so you ignore a crucial link that creates multiples contradictions in your response. If a building is shaky, it would be foolish to ignore the foundation the building was constructed upon. It is by addressing and understanding the effects of historical circumstances on the present that people can properly analyse problems and get stronger.

Tyehimba

Messages In This Thread

COURTING DESASTER - Racism, Rhetoric & Regression
Re: COURTING DESASTER - Racism, Rhetoric & Regress
Re: COURTING DESASTER - Racism, Rhetoric & Regress
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com