Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Lara closes in on record *LINK*

25/11/2005 12:10 - (SA)

Adelaide - Brian Lara was on the brink of eclipsing Allan Border's world record for most runs in Test cricket after a majestic double-century against Australia on the opening day of the final Test at Adelaide Oval on Friday.

The Trinidad left-hander was just 12 runs away from surpassing Border's 11-year Test record after he defied the Australian bowling attack for six hours to remain unconquered on 202 at stumps.

Lara was on 11 163 runs, just 11 runs behind Border's aggregate (11 174 runs) at day's end and looks set to break the mark on Saturday.

The 36-year-old batting virtuoso became only the second player to pass 11 000 Test runs as he claimed his 31st Test century and ninth against Australia to finally unleash the batting artistry that has made him one of cricket's all-time greats.

Dwarfed

His unbeaten 202 in 363 minutes with 20 boundaries dwarfed the combined efforts of his team-mates' 140 runs as the West Indies reached the close at 352 for seven, with Daren Powell not out on seven in by far the best first innings for the Caribbean tourists in the series already won by Australia.

"It's testimony that I've been batting for 15 to 16 years in Test cricket; anybody who spends that sort of time and is any sort of a decent batsman is going to be in and around certain records," Lara said.

"It feels great, I've been working pretty hard in the Super Series and the other two Tests against Australia, but I knew I was feeling good and I was actually getting starts and getting into double figures but not going on.

"I knew this was just around the corner, I was ready and I was really looking forward to this particular Test match ... it's a great feeling to finally get some runs in Australia."

Lara was given a standing ovation to the wicket and at day's end in probably his last Test in Australia.

Pulled

He raised his double hundred - his eighth in Tests - two overs before stumps with a pulled boundary off paceman Brett Lee to continue his love affair with the Adelaide Oval where he currently averages almost 95 runs per innings.

It was Lara's second century at the picturesque oval, once the stamping ground of Australian cricket icon Don Bradman. He amassed 182 in his last Test appearance here in 2000.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/Cricket/0,,2-9-839_1840658,00.html

Messages In This Thread

Lara closes in on record *LINK*
Lara slams 202, West Indies at 352/7 *LINK*
Lara double-ton defies Australia
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com