Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Yorke: Mummy, I told you we would make it

By KARL E CUPID, newsday.co.tt
Tobago Bureau

As the excitement built up during the football battle in far-off Bahrain, Grace Yorke was forced to turn off the television and lie down to control her rising blood pressure. "Then when I heard any noise from supporters in the neighbourhood, I turned it back on," the mother of senior national football team captain Dwight Yorke told reporters at her Canaan home in Tobago yesterday afternoon.

Minutes after Trinidad and Tobago had secured a place in the 2006 World Cup in Germany, Dwight called to remind her — "Mummy I told you we would make it." Stressing that she prays a lot, Ma Yorke said, "I feel very proud that they won the game, and I am very proud of Dwight." She said she is not in the best of health. "I watched the game halfway, and when the excitement got too much I turned off the TV and lied down." Ma Yorke said she was a bit worried. "He (Dwight) usually calls me before a big game, but this time he didn’t call; maybe that’s why I was a bit worried," she explained. "But he said they would make it, and we knew he would make it. I do pray a lot," Ma Yorke asserted. Meanwhile, a celebratory mini motorcade converged on the Yorkes’ family home with supporters singing and chanting, and Ma Yorke getting into the act to wave a large national flag in celebration of TT’s one-nil victory over Bahrain to book their historic place in Germany.

In Scarborough, pandemonium reigned with blaring horns and flashing lights as vehicles traversed the streets of the capital with national flags flying.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/stories.php?article_id=30774

Messages In This Thread

First World Cup for Trinidad and Tobago
A video clip of celebrations
Another video clip of celebrations
Patriotic fans celebrate *LINK*
Public holiday today
World Cup Carnival in PoS
'Sea of Red' turned into a 'River of Tears'
Yorke: Mummy, I told you we would make it
TT heads to Germany: Warriors win war
Welcome home Soca Warriors!
Welcome Home Soca Warriors (Video 1)
Welcome Home Soca Warriors (Video 2)
Welcome Home Soca Warriors (Video 3)
Welcome Home Soca Warriors (Video 4)
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com