Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Congrats to Brother Valentino *LINK*

Brother Valentino is Veterans king

BY MICHAEL MONDEZIE

After more than 40 years, veteran calypsonian Bro Valentino (Emrold Phillip) has finally won a title.

Phillip, known as the people’s calypsonian, earned his first crown on Monday night at the NWAC inaugural Veterans Calypso Monarch competition at City Hall, Knox Street, Port-of-Spain.

He topped a formidable list of true heavyweights, beating seasoned campaigners Explainer and Singing Francine into second and third spot to break his long, barren spell.

“I’ve been singing 40-odd years and now I finally have the opportunity to lift a title,” a jubilant Phillip said during a telephone interview yesterday.

“It was a new feeling to me, winning, but I was among some bards that had put in some good works on the night and I knew I had to come good.”

Phillip sang Where Kaiso Went, a strong social commentary that laid the blame for the lack of growth in the industry on judges, DJs and fellow calypsonians, and his popular Life Is A Stage, which he said took a critical look at human development.

The newest monarch in T&T said he had always felt he got the rough end of the stick in competition over the years and attributed his victory to his perseverance and will power.

Guardian Newspapers today
--------------------------------------
This elder Griot has kept the torch of Truth & Right alight for over a generation. may the ancestors help him further forward...
Life is indeed a stage ... and yes he is right about the whereabouts of Kaiso.

long live valentino !!!!

Messages In This Thread

Congrats to Brother Valentino *LINK*
Re: Congrats to Brother Valentino
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com