Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Re: Foreign Assembled
In Response To: Foreign Assembled ()

Raffique Shah is correct in his observation that two generations ago racially divisive oratories and behavior did not occur and if it did it was superficial and temporary.
~~~~~~

Well i do not agree with Raffique Shah's assessment. The poor racial concepts that exists in society did not happen overnight. They have been there even right from the start.This whole nation has been founded on poor racial attitudes, and any talk of racial dividing the nation is not accurate as there never was true unity in the first place. This colonial legacy has never been properly acknowledged or dealt with in the mainstream. The mechanics of institionalised racism has been churning unaddressed for a long time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Relying on our government to correct and reverse this encroaching societal decay is an exercise in futility. Only grass-root efforts at local community levels will succeed in promoting acceptance and tolerance of ethnic and racial differences.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
I agree with the first part. the government is part of the problem. However, i would not agree that 'tolerance' of ethnic and racial differences should be the aim. That implies that people should stomach and endure things and people that deep down they despise. I think that for too long tolerance has been mistaken for racial harmony.For instance, because someone may tolerate Africans and not make any overtly racists statements that does not reduce their poor racial attitudes, and the racism that they subtly perpetuate.

regards
Tyehimba

Messages In This Thread

Foreign Assembled
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com