Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Jamaica lashed by 20ft waves

Jamaica lashed by 20ft waves as Ivan's path of destruction sweeps Caribbean

In downtown Kingston, the island's capital, 20ft trees were uprooted, some flung on to cars, and the streets were strewn with twisted metal roof panels. Porcelain tiles that decorated the Jamaica Pegasus hotel were torn from the façade and smashed to shards. "I'd say we have been spared the worst," Ronald Jackson of the Jamaica relief agency told the Associated Press, "but we're not out of the woods yet."

Jamaica's death toll rose to eight, and included people whose houses collapsed when trees fell on them and others who drowned when their homes were submerged by flood waters.

Countless homes and buildings had their metal roofs peeled off. Widespread flooding was reported, and power was cut off across the island. Despite troops patrolling the rain-lashed streets, sporadic looting took place in Kingston.

"I've lived here all my life, and I've never seen anything like it," Chester Pinnock, a Kingston businessman, said. Heavy flooding was also reported around Montego Bay on Jamaica's northern coast, washing away part of the A1 main coastal road.

Full Article : independent.co.uk

Messages In This Thread

Hurricane Ivan Advisory 11/09/2004 11pm
Worsening Hurricane Ivan slams Jamaica
Jamaica lashed by 20ft waves
UK sends aid to stricken Jamaica
Hurricane Ivan wrecks Jamaica
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com