1,000s of Trinis apply to come home
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2020
1,000s of Trinis apply to come home
Speaking at a virtual media briefing on Wednesday, Young indicated that there are approximately 330,000 nationals currently outside of Trinidad and Tobago, which closed its borders in late March to curb the spread of COVID-19.
Deyalsingh: First wave not over
Speaking at the Ministry of Health virtual media briefing, Deyalsingh said while T&T has no new positive COVID-19 cases, the global numbers have risen to 5.7 million cases. He said while the Government cannot legislate the wearing of masks and practising of personal hygiene, it continues to use strong moral suasion to urge the public to comply.
PM to speak at May 30 briefing
Stuart explains reentry process for stranded Trinis
"It is not an indication that we will not be taking back our nationals. We will be taking back, but it will be on a managed schedule and what our resources can handle. We have been in discussions with the ministry of Health to find where we can make more facilities where available", said Young.
PM: You've responded magnificently to COVID measures
Rowley thanked this country's citizens for being cooperative, and the business community for being understanding. He said because the government kept following the advice of the healthcare professionals we were able to manage the pandemic.
Minister Imbert cautiously optimistic about oil revenues
This was the declaration made by Finance Minister Colm Imbert following a recovery of oil prices above the US$30 mark this week. However, despite this expression of relief Imbert said it is still too early to know whether T&T's economic fortunes will improve as a result. The national budget was originally based on an oil price of US$60.
$449m in VAT bonds ready
Imbert: Relief coming soon for small, medium businesses and taxi drivers...
Young: Having a chartered flight does not guarantee entry into TT
'I'm not resigning'
Minister Young blames inaccurate reporting
Trini stuck in US: We will pay for our own hotel quarantine
ONE of a group of 83 nationals in the US seeking exemptions to return to Trinidad and Tobago has said they are willing to pay for their own 14-day quarantine.
A plea to Stuart, from Guyana 10
According to a letter, signed by the permanent secretary of the Ministry of National Security and dated May 12, the group was advised that the minister had considered their request for an exemption and was prepared to grant approval.
Covid-19 fear at 'Immigration'
Officers said while wearing masks is mandatory, they feel their lives are at risk because members of the public have to remove their mask for their photograph to be taken and exposure to the virus is there.
Absentee P/Town MP upsets constituents
Princes Town residents say they love their MP Barry Padarath but feel hurt that he abandoned them during COVID-19 lockdown. Padarath flew out of the country to be with his daughter Sejal in the United States shortly before the lockdown of T&T's borders in late March.
UNC: We have the best line-up
Party screens 20, names five candidates so far...
Trini mom of missing teen 'sees' her in photo in Venezuelan bust
Shallow, who forwarded all the texts and voice notes to the police, is frustrated at the lack of progress with investigations. The case has been handled by three different investigators in the 18 months since Cuffy went missing and there have been very few updates from Anti Kidnapping Squad, she said.
Only T&T nationals being considered for exemptions
Spouses, regardless of pending applications for residency, will not be considered at this time.
ACP Hackshaw cleared after finance probe
An intense three-month police investigation into ACP Irwin Hackshaw, following a newspaper report which claimed he had allegedly been flagged for suspicious financial activity at three banks, has been closed by the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service with the officer being exonerated from any criminal wrongdoing.
Doctor who? - Fake medic found at San Fernando Hospital
About 20 minutes later, when he returned to the security post, he was wearing green medical personnel wear, known as a scrub and disposable sanitary shoes. He had a stethoscope around his neck. He told the security officer that he was a medical doctor attached to the old wing of the San Fernando General Hospital. The officers requested his name but he did not respond.
Charged with double murder of ex-cop and wife, man to reappear in court
Police went to execute search warrant, kills man instead
Police said that around 12.45 p.m. officers of the joint army/police patrol went to the man's house at #309 Smith Hill to search for guns and ammunition. Police said that they announced their presence telling Skinner that they had a search warrant.
Send page by E-Mail