Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Re: Anthony SABGA III released
In Response To: Anthony SABGA III released ()

by Ucill Cambridge, Express

Kidnap victim Anthony Sabga III was freed last night around 9.30 after his family paid the $5 million ransom demanded by his captors.

Head of the Anti-Kidnapping Squad, Snr Supt Clyde Reyes, confirmed that 22-year-old Sabga was released on Lady Young Road, Morvant, and was picked up by his father Norman and a private security escort from the family-owned Amalgamated Security Co Ltd. He was taken for a medical check-up, found to be in good health, and then taken back to his St Clair home.

A steady stream of visitors poured into the Sabga home last night after word of the release spread. Among the visitors was National Security Minister Howard Chin Lee.

Sabga, grandson of business magnate Anthony Sabga, was kidnapped at gunpoint around 4.15 a.m. on Sunday, while on the way home from a party at The Base nightclub in Chaguaramas. A ransom of $5 million was demanded in exchange for his safe return.

The Sabga clan asked police not to intervene in the negotiations. A police source yesterday told the Express that the relatives had indicated to the local law enforcement body that they were capable of handling the situation on their own.

Former Police Commissioner Noor Mohammed, who is a security consultant for the family, was called in and worked along with the Sabgas to ensure the victimís safe return, the Express was told.

But sources also said that in spite of the request for non-intervention, family members were co-operative and assisted police as necessary.

At the time of the kidnapping Sabga was in his silver Honda CRV with his sister, Anne.
Sources told the Express that Anne Sabga was not taken by her brother's kidnappers because they did not know who she was.

The sources added that one of the kidnappers had a conversation with Anne but left her alone because they thought she was Sabga girlfriend.
After Sabga was grabbed and forced into the getaway car, one of the kidnappers returned to the CRV and took the keys away to make sure they were not followed.

The kidnapper also ordered Anne to hand over her cellular phone. She denied having one and did not let on that her brother's phone was in the vehicle.
Sources believe that was the phone used to alert the Sabgas after the kidnapping.

It was also revealed that Sabga had attended the party at The Base in the company of other relatives and friends and the plan was to to return home in a convoy of sorts. However, the young man left the party a few minutes ahead of the others.

Sources also revealed that Anthony III was originally scheduled to be out of the country last weekend on a trip to Lebanon. He is said to have changed his mind at the last minute and stayed home.

Messages In This Thread

Anthony SABGA III released
Re: Anthony SABGA III released
Sabga Suspect Killed
Re: Sabga Suspect Killed
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright ©