Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Witness: We got $100,000 for hit

Naraynsingh murder trial

By Yvonne Webb
Tuesday 17th January, 2006

The man who was granted immunity from prosecution for his role in the Dr Chandra Naraynsingh murder pointed yesterday to murder accused Seeromani Maharaj-Naraynsingh and her husband, Prof Vijay Naraynsingh, as the duo who sat in his car in June, 1994, at Gulf City, and agreed to pay his late brother, Ken, $100,000 to “eliminate” Chandra.

Junior Morris, one of the key State witnesses in the trial, which is being heard before Justice Herbert Volney and a 12-member jury in San Fernando First Assize Court, also told the court that co-murder accused, Elton Ramasir, was the man who made contact between the Naraynsinghs and his brother.

Morris said his dead brother originally asked for $150,000 to do the job, “because he never take no work to murder no woman, but once the price was right he would do it.”

Morris, who is being kept in a safe house, also admitted, under oath, that they took them (he and his brother) to Chandra’s house in St Joseph and to Langmore Health Foundation, Palmyra, where she practised naturopathic medicine.

He also said the man told them he would be out of the country for a few days and wanted the job done during that time.

Morris also testified to driving his brother-in-law, hitman Shawn Parris, to Langmore on June 29, 1994, the day Chandra, 38, was shot to death.

Parris, who confessed to killing Chandra, is serving a 30-year life sentence for manslaughter.

Morris was one of two witnesses called by the State to give evidence yesterday.

Insp Johnny Abrahams, who was prevented from giving his testimony because of flooding at his Caparo home on Friday, also took the stand.

Under cross-examination by attorney Ramesh Maharaj, SC, who is appearing for Ramasir, Abrahams said he had two professional meetings with Shawn Parris while he was in prison, before charges were laid against the professor, his wife and Ramasir in late 2004.

The case against the professor was dismissed at the end of a preliminary inquiry in San Fernando before Magistrate Mark Wellington, last year.

Led by special prosecutor Dana Seetahal, who is leading the State’s team, along with deputy DPP Carla Browne-Antonie, Narissa Ramsundar and Nigel Pilgrim, Morris said in June, 1994, he and Ken were at their father’s home, at No 2 Fiona Street, Cocoyea, when Ken got a phone call.

He said he and Ken left in his Mazda 626, went to the gas station at Cocoyea roundabout, then drove to Gulf City, where he parked the vehicle.

A short time later, his brother’s friend, the late Errol Pierre, also called Rev, drove up in a white Sentra and pulled alongside his vehicle.

He said both Rev and Ken turned down the windows of the two cars and had a conversation.

An “Indian” man and woman emerged from the back seat of Rev’s car and came into his car, he said.

“When they came into the car, the Indian man tell Ken he is a close friend of Mr Ramasir, and he is having a little problem and know Ken and Rev will assist him, but he will need to talk to Ken outside (of the car).”

He said Ken told the “Indian” man he could speak in front of him.

“The man went on to tell Ken he had a job for him to eliminate someone. Ken asked him what he meant by ‘eliminate,’ and accused No 1 said he meant to kill someone.”

“Ken asked him why, and he tell Ken the person was his wife. He said there was more than one reason, but he never give him any specific reason.

“Ken then went on to tell him he never take no work to murder no woman, but once the price was right he would do it.”

Morris, who served time in prison and has matters pending before the courts, said the man asked how much it would cost to do the job and Ken told him $150,000.

“Accused No 1 said that was too much, and that she was expecting Ken to be a little more lenient, because Ramasir said he had spoken to Ken to be more lenient with them.

“She proposed a price to Ken and he said the least he would settle for was $100,000.”

Morris said Ken asked for a $15,000 advance payment to purchase a gun which he could dispose of and $10,000 “to take out (of jail) an associate who is most capable and put everything in place.”

Karl Hudson-Phillips, QC, will continue his cross-examination of Morris this morning.

Parris is also expected to testify today.

©2005-2006 Trinidad Publishing Company Limited

Messages In This Thread

Witness: We got $100,000 for hit
Seeromani wanted Chandra dead
Parris: Make sure the lady dead
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright ©