Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Cedros waits for favourite son

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news6.html

Anne Johnetty, sister of Patrick Toolsie, who was convicted of drug dealing, sat down on a bench and wept openly yesterday, as news spread that Toolsie and two others had been freed by the Privy Council.

Her mother Maminee Toolsie, 64, who had been baking goodies to take to Patrick in prison, was overjoyed when she heard the news.

Maminee and her husband Boysie, 65, immediately left their home and went to Port-of-Spain in a bid to get confirmation of the Privy Council’s ruling.

Johnetty, who operates a small parlour at Coromandel Village, Cedros, initially was reluctant to believe her brother would come home.

"When I see him, then I will believe it. I don’t want to get my hopes up high," she said.

She said when Toolsie was sentenced to life imprisonment, her family also suffered public shame, similar to that suffered by the Ramdhanie family.

Johnetty said Toolsie had always been good to those in his community.

"We were always close and I always knew that he would come home one day," Johnetty said, adding that she last spoke to him in prison last month.

"He told me that he was teaching English in prison. He looked well and he kept asking whether we had received any news from the Privy Council."

Brushing away tears, Johnetty said she was scared that Toolsie would have problems in adjusting to his new life.

"Things not like how it used to be. The life he knew is not around any longer."

Asked whether Toolsie had any skills, Johnetty said: "He used to play music in jail and he also did exams and passed them while he was in prison."

However, several residents of Chatam, Coromandel and Icacos said they hoped the accused men would be given a second chance.

Resident May Baldeo said: "I think everyone will assist Patrick, because he was a good man. He deserves a second chance." (RS)

©2004-2005 Trinidad Publishing Company Limited

Messages In This Thread

WE FRAID KARL: State to return seized $5.7m
Cedros waits for favourite son
Privy Council tells State to return $5.7M
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com