Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Language, Unity and Uniformity *LINK*

Colonialism permeates and breathes it's endless life in our existance in the Caribbean. The food we consume, the beverages we drink, the clothes we wear, and the language we speak, and yes the language we speak. The language we speak is not ours. The language that has been given, or should i dare to even say 'forced' upon us, is a manipulation of who we are and what we represent. Language is only a way of expression,and we as african people have lost our native tongue, hence our own true avenue of verbal expresssion is of non existance, hence of relevance. As an African man i have never felt that i could truly express my true emotions, my mind and my wisdom in a way that identifies with who i am. Language is very important in terms of self-identification. African people are by nature, a people of pride, integrity, wisdom, passion and understanding, and all these things can come unravelled by the time we open our mouths. Our heart and mind have intentions that are gigantious but our mouths force out a language that is foreign to who we are, is docile, and literally sounds borrowed. How can we as black people voice opinions that are in our best interests, in terms of culture, new beginnings, and our origins, when the language we speak is of the oppressor in our midsts. Colonialism as a force in language has assimilated the meanings of two words that are so different in meaning: unity and uniformity for their own reasons and unscrupulous purposes. Unity is basically the bringing together of different cultures and beings, and have them co-exist peacefully. Uniformity is a situation where everybody and everything is the same and they exist along one another. In times of slavery their was the need for uniformity to maintain order among the slaves. Slaves were socialized to be docial and subservient, by the perverse expression of Christianity, the cracking of a whip and unjust punishments and constant repression. All this was done to ensure uniformity. All of this was to maintain control. All this was done to keep things the same allround. Unity on the other hand is what our country's politicians talk about and preach(and of course dont practice unless is for votes). They want the blacks and the indians(who are often of different religion and culture) to come together to live in peace and harmony. The attaining of uniformity is not a possibility unless their is violence and bloodshed, because it normally involves one party of individuals wanting to put down ground rules as to how another group should be. What colonists have done is to mask uniformity with unity. When i say colonists in the present tense i speak of those who are in authority who have colonial mindsets and ideologies of rule and dominance. Our politicians in this 'nigger/coolie shithole' say they want unity when in fact they want uniformity. Both sides of the political spectrum want individuals to dance to a particular tune, so that they can or will maintin the authority they seek. The reality of unity arising would involve the harnessing of thught, originality, reason, character,wisdom and integrity,and that would not benefit the powers that be, because there would be a revolution. This 'unity' that politicians speak of only causes my African people because the majority of those in our midsts are followers not leaders. They would prefer to be guided to an ocean of lies, rather than choose to drink from the fountain of truth. Ignorance and fear is in the blood and they run deep. One has call on God to tear them from this bondage. So let us not be confused with unity and uniformity. They are not the same, but just framed by those to produce toys to play with and manipulate. And may we use this language that was beaten into us to convey the truth and as a weapon against those who want to repress and surpress us, the coloniser >From: "tyehimba salandy" >Subject: Liberating Zimbabwe >Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 13:41:50 +0000 > Colonialism permeates and breathes it's endless life in our existance in the Caribbean. The food we consume, the beverages we drink, the clothes we wear, and the language we speak, and yes the language we speak. The language we speak is not ours. The language that has been given, or should i dare to even say 'forced' upon us, is a manipulation of who we are and what we represent. Language is only a way of expression,and we as african people have lost our native tongue, hence our own true avenue of verbal expresssion is of non existance, hence of relevance. As an African man i have never felt that i could truly express my true emotions, my mind and my wisdom in a way that identifies with who i am. Language is very important in terms of self-identification. African people are by nature, a people of pride, integrity, wisdom, passion and understanding, and all these things can come unravelled by the time we open our mouths. Our heart and mind have intentions that are gigantious but our mouths force out a language that is foreign to who we are, is docile, and literally sounds borrowed. How can we as black people voice opinions that are in our best interests, in terms of culture, new beginnings, and our origins, when the language we speak is of the oppressor in our midsts. Colonialism as a force in language has assimilated the meanings of two words that are so different in meaning: unity and uniformity for their own reasons and unscrupulous purposes. Unity is basically the bringing together of different cultures and beings, and have them co-exist peacefully. Uniformity is a situation where everybody and everything is the same and they exist along one another. In times of slavery their was the need for uniformity to maintain order among the slaves. Slaves were socialized to be docial and subservient, by the perverse expression of Christianity, the cracking of a whip and unjust punishments and constant repression. All this was done to ensure uniformity. All of this was to maintain control. All this was done to keep things the same allround. Unity on the other hand is what our country's politicians talk about and preach(and of course dont practice unless is for votes). They want the blacks and the indians(who are often of different religion and culture) to come together to live in peace and harmony. The attaining of uniformity is not a possibility unless their is violence and bloodshed, because it normally involves one party of individuals wanting to put down ground rules as to how another group should be. What colonists have done is to mask uniformity with unity. When i say colonists in the present tense i speak of those who are in authority who have colonial mindsets and ideologies of rule and dominance. Our politicians in this 'nigger/coolie shithole' say they want unity when in fact they want uniformity. Both sides of the political spectrum want individuals to dance to a particular tune, so that they can or will maintin the authority they seek. The reality of unity arising would involve the harnessing of thught, originality, reason, character,wisdom and integrity,and that would not benefit the powers that be, because there would be a revolution. This 'unity' that politicians speak of only causes my African people because the majority of those in our midsts are followers not leaders. They would prefer to be guided to an ocean of lies, rather than choose to drink from the fountain of truth. Ignorance and fear is in the blood and they run deep. One has call on God to tear them from this bondage. So let us not be confused with unity and uniformity. They are not the same, but just framed by those to produce toys to play with and manipulate. And may we use this language that was beaten into us to convey the truth and as a weapon against those who want to repress and surpress us, the coloniser

Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com