Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

BWIA BLUES!!!

Good Citizens!
please find attached a letter i have written to the
CEO of BWIA
it outlines my dissapointment in their quality of care
and customer service as experienced first hand.
i am hoping this letter gets published if only to
enlighten fellow citizens of what we sometimes endure
from our own. maybe enough complaints of a similar
nature will force BWIA to sort themselves out and
deliver a service deserving of our custom

yours sincerely
k ramcharitar

Dear Sir,

After my most recent experience of flying on BWIA I am most compelled to voice this grievance and displeasure. I have been a dedicated supporter of our national airline since 1979, when I first flew BWIA; and until now have continued to fly our national carrier in spite of the competition. However, I now feel it may be a time for change.
I have over the years often heard mention of BWIA losing profits, running at a loss, and on occasion the government having to foot the bill for its budget deficits. I now wonder how these losses were incurred in the first place. Maybe It’s because disappointed passengers like myself; after having bad experiences and poor customer service, have decided to spend our money elsewhere, and be treated with real care and concern.
My personal experience transpired when I decided to take my son on a short Easter vacation (details attached). We were delayed in Piarco; having been scheduled to leave at 0145hrs we eventually were underway at 0845hrs. This proved to be very stressful for my son and I. Although we made the effort to be at the airport three hours before departure as instructed; we now had to endure a wait of at least ten hours, with no amends from BWIA. To add insult to injury, my baggage was left behind in Trinidad. The explanation I got was the most ludicrous I have ever heard. After waiting in vain for my luggage to appear on the carousel at Pearsons, I was told to report to the BWIA luggage claims counter. There I was informed that the aircraft had been too heavy; and so not everyone’s luggage could be transported.
This was just not good enough; how can an aircraft be overweight if the clear guidelines as stated when one purchases a ticket are adhered to, and the proper checking in procedures are followed. My ticket clearly stated two pieces of luggage at 70lbs each. Between my son and I we took with us two pieces of luggage not exceeding 70lbs Altogether, in addition to our hand luggage. Yet my luggage was not with me when I arrived at my destination. I therefore did not have fresh warm clothing available to me until the following evening. This necessitated me having to purchase clothing.
When I contacted your area manager in Toronto on 12/04/04, she told me in no uncertain terms that BWIA was not liable for this incident, and that the blame lay firmly at the tour operators’ feet; from whom I had purchased my airline tickets. Although this was a chartered flight I fail to see the logic in this train of thought. Am I to assume that a tour operator is given the responsibility of checking in passengers, weighing in baggage, and ensuring that all proper airline safety guidelines are adhered to?
To make matters worse, I was yet again delayed in Toronto for my return trip; the plane left 31/2 hrs later than scheduled. Yet again I was stuck at an airport with my son; having to buy food and not being able to get any comfortable rest. The aircraft was so late, we were told we had to board as quickly as possible, or the flight would be cancelled until the next day. It was a real spectacle seeing how quickly we were herded unto the aircraft.
For this stress I got an apology that the aircraft was late due to technical difficulties forcing it to turn back when it left Piarco. I have often heard other people complain of poor quality of service from BWIA, I never thought I would suffer first hand experience of this.
It gets worse; my luggage was damaged when I took charge of it at Piarco. At this point I was just grateful to arrive (late) in Trinidad; I did not have the energy or the inclination to make a complaint. I instead opted to recompose myself and later write this letter.
I am extremely disheartened by my experience, especially the bit about BWIA not accepting liability for my luggage not arriving with me in Toronto. I cannot accept your area managers’ explanation that the tour operator is to blame.
I write this letter in resignation of no recompense; but nevertheless I have voiced my concerns, and chosen to share them; in the hope that other people who may have had similar experiences will also stand up for their rights as customers and also voice their grievances. Maybe then we may receive the quality and standard of service we deserve as patriotic citizens who made the choice to support our national airline; and also as customers, deserving of services for which we have reasonable expectations, and rights.

Yours Sincerely,

K Ramcharitar

Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com