Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Re: Aristide Says 'I Was Kidnapped'

In a statement released Sunday, Jamaican Prime Minister P.J. Patterson said that "we are bound to question whether his resignation was truly voluntary, as it comes after the capture of sections of Haiti by armed insurgents and the failure of the international community to provide the requisite support."

"The removal of President Aristide in these circumstances sets a dangerous precedent for democratically elected governments anywhere and everywhere, as it promotes the removal of duly elected persons from office by the power of rebel forces," said Patterson, who is chairman of the Caribbean Community (Caricom).

Patterson denied that Caricom "was a party to a plan or was in consultation or had subscribed to the removal of President Aristide from office, as a prior condition."

Patterson called for a meeting of the Caricom heads of state in Jamaica on Tuesday.

Messages In This Thread

Bush administration denies forcing Aristide's retr *LINK*
Aristide Says 'I Was Kidnapped' *LINK*
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com