Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Don't bash "Trini to de bone"

I read, with some amazement, the letter penned by Mr. Henry Harper (All can be 'Trinis to de bone' published on April 3, 2003) but my most diligent effort to deduce his message has led me to the inescapable conclusion that he is resentful of all those who have had the opportunity to live abroad.

My curiosity was aroused by the absurdly implied premise that since "all Trinis to de bone" live abroad, people domiciled in T&T do not share the conviction of culture and national pride that would place them in that category. The writer relied on biblical reference to make the point that some entertainers, like prophets, are not accepted in their own country. It seems to me, that people ought to be admired for embarking on journeys in search of greener pastures instead of wallowing in self-pity.

While Mr. Harper concedes that it is laudable for those he labeled as "wanting to return resident...saving money to retire to T&T and live the rest of their foreign-accented lives by the beach," his embellishment that "very, very, very few achieve this laudable goal" seems to be a Freudian slip betraying his real hope that they never make it. I would hate to think that a person's accent would be justification for ostracism.

Ambition and honesty are forces which motivate upward mobility. Those so moved, having recognized that economic and educational opportunities were not available to them in T&T followed their dreams to countries where, more often than not, they achieved success. Congratulations to them and also to those who "are not so smart" who can make a "quick buck" honestly. In some circles that's called "enterprising."

T&T will forever be proud of their nationals, who through opportunities offered abroad, have exemplified themselves in their various fields of endeavor. Some are, once again, residing in T&T, uplifting the country. Think of those famous in academia, athletics, politics; the poets, performing artists; those of peerage, knighthood and most distinguished orders. There are airplanes, arenas and buildings that bear testimony to their achievements. Yet, of those who are living examples in T&T, the writer would say they are not "Trinis to de bone." Was the Lord Kitchener, who spent so many years in England, a "Trini to de bone?" Is the Mighty Sparrow who adopted T&T a "Trini to do bone?"

"Marrying" for love should be praised not derided, whether it to a spouse or to a country. T&T can be proud to identify untold numbers of people who have adopted the country and have earned the right to be classified as "Trinis to the bone."

If the USA revokes the residential status of someone who is forced to return the T&T, why would Mr. Harper assume that that person will suddenly become a "Trine to de bone?" It is more likely that it would be psychologically impractical for that individual to exude the cultural and national devotion to become a "Trine to de bone." Under such circumstances one will function under duress while pining for the day to be extricated from Mr. Harper's Utopia.

It is heartening to know that residents of T&T, through their spokesman Mr. Harper, are magnanimous enough "to put up with much" a subtle reference to the individuals of his discontent, but the convoluted analogy between the rest of the world's natural disasters and local politicians, left me non the wiser.

Although Mr. Harper might have employed a feeble attempt at sarcasm, the underlying bitterness and jealously have manifested themselves in his "woe is me " attempt to elicit sympathy for a plight he perceives to have been inflicted on him by those people who had the opportunity to follow their dream. It is symbolic that he clothes himself in the garment of a prisoner while painting the picture of a scene replete with joy and happiness.

The writer has described his paradise. Perhaps he only sees it as a mirage but if he sheds the yoke of resentment and envy he will be free to bask in the reality that he has articulated.

Selwyn P. Nimblett
Brooklyn, N.Y.
selwynpnimblett@aol.com

Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com