Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Magic Kingdom

“The common argument that crime is caused by poverty is a kind of slander on the poor.” H L Mencken

As the criminals of all stripes and class get more blatant and inventive in their attacks against the innocent, citizens and overwhelmed authorities of my country are close to pressing the panic buttons as many are appalled at present prevailing social realities. It’s nothing new really, crime has always been with us long as any care to recall.

Recently I even heard Francis Joseph a respectable local Journalist ,demand the reintroduction of another Flying Squad ,and the creation of a 21st century Randy Boroughs , so as to bring back law and order in the land once and for all, as the clueless British Scotland Yard blokes aren’t really giving us -it seems -any real value for their exorbitant salaries. As for the expensive sky blimps, for all the crime it was able to curb , they might as well be used to transport passengers between San Fernando and Port- Of - Spain , or Toco and Charlottville .

I’ll say this ,Francis Joseph ,I knew when you were a young idealist crime beat reporter running around Police Headquarters trying to get the information out to the public. That was long before Abu Baker attacked and nearly burn it to the ground ,while killing a few of the dedicated folks within. I also knew Randy B, for he was also my Commissioner of Police ,who some would perhaps correctly say tried to prevent the crazies from overrunning the asylum in attempts to destroy us all back then.
I still do not know if the Muslim Imam and ex police would have lived to enjoy a British trial ,and the company of his ten wives if the B was alive, or in charge when our Parliament was d attacked in 1990. Let me phrase this correctly however. The B was a good man in his own peculiar way , and certainly took a bite out of crime - depending on who you ask- but rest assured ,you or no citizens would not want to have another Borroughs to be in chare of our Police service ever again. I do not know most of the present Police executives , but for all their perceived deficiencies , most are way ahead of the curve , and capable of geting the job done.We are 'barking up the wrong tree' if we believe that they are our sole problem.

For all their pretense of outrage Trinis are fervent believers in magic . They are the only folks on the face of the earth , that want’s to 'have their cake and eat it at the same time.' How else could you explain fervent support for two political parties where the leaders are such masters of our adored British neo colonial system as far as divide and rule, nepotism , and cronyism.

After all, with respect to crime the government believes that it’s all linked to some outside force that has invaded our country via returning deported border lined juvenile delinquents. The Opposition in contrast prefers to point finger at the PNM government and it’s Afro Trini fans for every crime that ever took place in our country since August 31th 1962 . In the mean time absolutely nothing is done to ensure that equitable distribution of our resources take place, and historical wrongs are finally rectified .

No action is taking place that would boost the moral of local law enforcement officials, and strengthen the integrity of our over burdened and bureaucratic judiciary. Part of the latter incidentally, is to finally give the full support and recognition of the Caribbean Courts of Appeal , and so cut the nable string of Britannia via the Privy Council a soon as yesterday.
In the absence of a level playing field as far as justice , white color tugs are ignored due to economic and political clout , while poorer seemingly violent , and low end blue color miscreants ,are treated with contempt , while recidivism remains common as a flag woman at a Panorama finals. Can we soon begin the task of working together as a united nation ,where varying interest are addressed unselfishly? I have absolutely no idea , but can certainly remain optimistic.

Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com