Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

House cleaning before another election

By HERU

We are presently traversing uncharted waters and while I would like to see us return to the polls several things should be addressed before we so do.

The investigations into the Election and Boundaries Commission should be completed and the Election List should be updated to the satisfaction of all the political parties. I could have said to clean up the list to the satisfaction of all the people but when dealing with so many people it would be impossible to satisfy all.

The investigations into government corruption should be completed before returning to the polls. There are several investigations on the way and as we have seen the Director of Public Prosecutions found enough grounds to have several persons, including two ex-ministers, arrested for corruption.

One shudders to think what might happen if ex-ministers who are presently under investigation suddenly find themselves in government. We saw the efforts of the former UNC government to frustrate the inquiries into several government contracts and the rift it created in their own party that caused them to call an election.

I maintain that we should all be wary of the two main parties and given the election deadlock both sides know they would be holding on to power on a fine thread and this PNM government knows they are being severely scrutinized. We should let the reasonableness of right and wrong move our collective voices to force this government to allow the police and the other commissions of enquiry to finish their investigations before returning to the polls.

The UNC had their chance to investigate allegations of corruption during the last PNM administration. We should now focus on the cases that enraged so many of us.

The 1.6 billion dollar Airport contract, the Rice deal, the 100 million dollar Miss Universe, the school building exercise and the road-paving project are just a few that come to mind as I write this letter.

These investigations are too important to have them undermined by politicians who wish to protect themselves, their families and financial investors. I am calling on all right thinking people to monitor this present government for a while and press the case for all the investigations to be completed before we return to the polls.

HERU
Maraval

Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com