Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

School scandal / Chaitan: I gave go-ahead

By Curtis Williams

Despite numerous reports which suggested it would have been unsafe to have teachers and students occupy the Biche Secondary School, the Basdeo Panday administration was willing to place children in the school on the recommendation of then junior energy minister William Chaitan.

Chaitan yesterday admitted he had recommended to the then Cabinet the school was safe to use and it had accepted his recommendation.
He said: “I am a geologist and a geophysicist and when I was asked to look into the matter there were nine reports. I looked at each of them and paid two visits to the site. When I did my analysis, I told the Cabinet it was perfectly safe to house the students and the Cabinet accepted it.”

Chaitan’s revelation came as the controversy surrounding the Panday administration’s construction of ten schools widened with discovery that a Pan American Health Organisation’s report had warned children should not be placed in the school because “there is a high quality of oil seepage and the children should not be exposed to toxic and explosive gases”.

Messages In This Thread

School scandal / Chaitan: I gave go-ahead
Re: School scandal
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com