Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Ramesh blames Panday for crime

Team Unity political leader Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj has cited corruption within the UNC and former Prime Minister Basdeo Panday's stint as the Minister of National Security as reasons for the increase in crime in Trinidad.

Speaking yesterday on Radio I92.5, Maharaj suggested that while the UNC had done a lot to tackle crime in its first term, the fact that there was no "real" Minister of National Security after the December 2000 elections might have contributed to the current crime situation.

"You have a situation in which you have a breakdown of leadership, you have a breakdown in values, you have lawlessness at the top, people have no examples to follow and I think all these things will have a ripple effect on the crime situation," said Maharaj.

"I do not think that the crime situation can be effectively dealt with unless you have the government working with the religious bodies and the non-governmental institutions. You have to instill the values in these people, and try to do more to prevent these crimes."

Messages In This Thread

2001 ‘most murderous, violent year’
Ramesh blames Panday for crime
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com