Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

PEACE

Recently, I read in the Trinidad Catholic News “Viewpoint”, that PEACE is the fruit of social order.

Those words suddenly jumped at me. It was like a sudden shock into reality as I asked myself well then, is there Peace in Trinidad and Tobago?

Because if Peace is the fruit of social order, it implies quite naturally that there must first be social order.

What then is social order?

Order is, according to the Oxford dictionary, “a state of obedience to Law and Authority etc.” Heavy words in our TT context.

This relatively rear quality of human existence must be experienced by, at least, the majority of a populace. And if this is the case the following situations will be rearity rather than being the norm, or the order of the day: -

Citizens will feel free and sufficiently safe to walk away leaving their parked unlocked cars behind. Or they can sit relaxed in their homes with the doors wide open at 7.30 in the evening, knowing that there will be no interference by unauthorized persons.

We will be confident that our leaders, politicians etc, will not be stealing the peoples’ money. That they are not twisting the rules and interpretations according to who is involved.

The industrial climate should be of such that there is justice and fairplay on all sides, so that in the eventual long run poor workers and taxpayers do not suffer through no fault of theirs.

There will be a higher minimum wage rate. And powerful entrepreneurs will not abuse and intimidate helpless, unionized workers, as is the norm in a number of locations right now. They would support the idea of a higher minimum wage rate. We have examples of such unfairness taking place right now at Starlite distributors in El Socorro and some similarly owned entities.

To this end it is advisable that such employers revisit the recent address given by Dr. Aleem Mohammed Chairman of SM Jaleel in his speech to the just concluded Business Development Company’s enterprise development seminar/workshop. He said, among other things, that people are the greatest assets of a company. He also emphasized the need to bring spirituality to the work place. “There must be spirit-centered leadership...we live too much in ego and we edge God out. There must be honesty, integrity and transparency,” he said.

To my mind these are words of wisdom that are needed now more than ever in the hearts of our business community.

Looking now in other areas, if the Police and the criminal justice system can only be seen to be able to carry out their responsibilities effectively and efficiently to the extent that the people feel safe and not intimidated.

Our police officers are the main watchmen of the society. They are charged with the responsibility of bringing to justice those who break the law. But even this august and honorable body is not without its own problems. I am not sure that they can deal with the present situation.

More than that there still seem to be evidence that some of these very people continue to bring down the Police service by their distasteful and obnoxious behavior. As a result greater feelings of despair, fear and mistrust are being engendered.

If we could only conduct ourselves especially during Carnival time in such a manner to give some hope to the few remaining decent, religious and respectable families that are still around.

If the politicians, both Government and Opposition, could only be honest and willing enough to demonstrate, by their behavior that they are there only to serve the people to the best of their abilities, not having any personal agendas to satisfy save and except their due reward.

If only there was no such thing as the Airport enquiry and all that it has shown us thus far and those still to be exposed.

If there could be a better and more acceptable driving public, the type that is prepared to show by their driving behavior, that they are willing, ready and able to demonstrate patience, tolerance, respect for others and, most of all, obedience to the law.

It seems to me that respect for human life should be a basic human requirement, just as respect for the law. But what of Government and other responsible agencies miserably failure to deliver proper and adequate services to its populace. What of the ongoing cases of heartless murders, corruption and industrial actions that leave people virtually suffering, in some cases dying, for lack of basic care and protection by the state?

Only when these levels of correction are realized can we safely say that “social order” is evident.

Social order to me is that state of affairs where the requirements for orderliness exist. It places high on its list of compulsory requirements, exemplary behavior by all, but especially by those in public office and leadership positions.

Some of these requirements are that the laws, rules and regulations are obeyed. And where these do not happen there are effective working systems put in place, long before hand, in order to deal with the offenders regardless to who they may be, and to institute proper damage control and timely correction.

It is the situation where all peoples perform their specific related responsibilities according to the dictates of any socially ordered, rational, and responsible people.

In such a setting the punished must therefore accept their punishments, which really will be the consequences of their own silly actions. This scenario presupposes a well working justice system.

Therefore, I ask where is the orderliness, that bedrock for peace?

Or is social order relative, just as we have reduced so many basic important traditions to a state of relativity in order to suit our own selfish desires.

Could social order exist in light of so many disorders?

Assuming then that the aforementioned factors exist in my “beautiful country”, and Peace is the fruit of social order, then what do we have?

Or do we need to change the definition for peace just to fit into our own special situation? We seem good at changing around any situation to suit our needs.

We need to heed the advice of Former American President, Jimmy Carter: “We must adjust to changing times but hold on to unchanging principles”
This vital piece of advice was passed on to the world in his acceptance speech in Oslo on the occasion of his Nobel Peace Prize award ceremony on Dec 11 02.

Since it seems that almost everyone wants a “piece” of the action, could it be then that some confuse “Peace” with “piece”?

I wonder.

Doyle Hicks
Orlando
Florida
Ahicks2@cfl.rr.com

C:\Documents and Settings\Doyle Hicks\Desktop\PEACE.doc

Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com