Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Badjohn 'Mastife' dies at 79

By David Brewster, Newsday TT

EUGENE DE LA ROSA, once considered one of the country's most notorious street fighters, lost his battle to colon cancer at his Balthazar Street residence yesterday. He was 79.

Known throughout his life as "Mastife", De La Rosa was considered last of a three generations of old-time Trinidad "badjohns".

He was immortalised in Small Island Pride's 1956 calypso "Mastife, Mastife, meet me down at the Croisee".

The jumpy calypso, however, was banned in De La Rosa's household from the day it came out.

In an interview last year, De La Rosa, a Sparrow fan, said he detested not only the calypso, but the singer.

"I never even considered Small Island Pride a true calypsonian, and the song portrayed me as some old criminal. It had me in a bad light," he said.

Max Senhouse, prominent Tunapuna businessman, and one of De La Rosa's long-time friends, said yesterday: "Tunapuna has lost a real character in Mastife.

"It's a road we all have to go, but Mastife made a contribution as a top billiards player and stickfighter."

De La Rosa was a finalist in the National Billiads Tournament in 1951, losing a close match to John Remy.

Stocky, ruggedly handsome, with massive legs, his fist as huge as a heavyweight boxer, De La Rosa often said he hated the idea of a "man taking physical advantage of another man".

De La Rosa admitted that he was jailed dozens of times for beating up people in street riots and streets brawls, but many times he intervened to save another fellow from "licks".

He was at his peak during the days of the Trinidad serial killer Boysie Singh, who had clubs on Duke and Henry Streets. It was said that even the cold-blooded killer Singh wanted no part of De La Rosa.

De La Rosa said he wanted to be remembered as a man who had class, one who risked his life on the streets for the underdog.

He will be buried at the Tunapuna Public Cemetery tomorrow following a service at the Good Shepherd Church, starting 4 p.m.

Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com