Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

An unwanted feeling

[This is a letter in the daily newspapers]

As an East Indian living in Trinidad after the 2002 elections. I can’t help but feel marginalised. I now feel as if I am an outcast in my own country while my acquaintances tell me (the non-Indian ones) that I have nothing to fear. I don’t sense the genuineness in their statements. Are we going to see a resurgence of “Black Power?”

At the end of the day, I am glad there is a government, I would rather it was not the PNM but at least a Budget, any budget will get passed and some measure of financial stability will resume. What I really long for is the kind of feeling I had with the NAR government 1986-1988 (pre Club 88 and Panday breakaway). Why has it been so hard for us as a nation to find our way back?

Is there going to be a time in the next five years when I feel comfortable? Am I still going to be offended and feel offended when this Prime Minister finds it curious that East Indian business people are kidnapped and held for ransom? I don’t want it and I don’t deserve it. I am a taxpaying citizen of this country and I didn’t deserve to feel dispossessed because the PNM are in power.

I want to see the actions of racial inclusion rather than hear the policy on it.

I want to know I belong not to be told that I do. I may not have helped to put the PNM in power but I must hold them accountable to me for their actions and inactions.

I am tired of hearing about Constitutional Reform. I want to see it happen. I want, and in fact demand a bi-partisan approach to it because 285,0000 individuals deserve a hearing.

As an East Indian I want to feel I belong to and in Trinidad and Tobago and I want Mr Manning from today to work towards that end.

CHRISTINE ALI-KHAN
Westmoorings

Messages In This Thread

No need for race lessons in T&T
Re: No need for race lessons in T&T
An unwanted feeling
Re: An unwanted feeling
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com