So far this year, the number of kidnap victims reads at eleven.
One of the more high-profile cases was the kidnapping of 23-year-old Anthony Sabga III, the grandson of business mogul, Anthony Sabga.
He was returned home safely after a $5 million ransom was paid.
There has been a general outcry for increased national security.
Businessmen have been calling on the Government for fire-arms to protect themselves and their family.
Despite several arrests over the past few weeks, the kidnappers have remained at large and took their latest victim on Saturday night.
Prime Minister Patrick Manning had this to say yesterday, when asked to comment on the kidnapping of Arima businessman, Ishwar Maharaj:
“We are very well aware of it and we are very concerned.
“But we are looking at that very closely, there are some unusual aspects about that that I don’t know if we should talk about.”
Manning was speaking at the People’s National Movement’s Annual General Meeting yesterday at St John’s Hall, Wrightson Road, Port of Spain.
“The police are well on top of it, but we are looking at it closely.”
The Daily Express also spoke with United National Congress leader Basdeo Panday on the situation.
Panday is currently in Miami, Florida on a fundraising drive for the party’s coffers.
Panday said that National Security Minister, Howard Chin Lee, is not the only one who has to go.
“They should all go,” Panday said of the PNM Government.
“The spate of crime has only continued to rise under the PNM.”
|NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material
from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. |