Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Re: PNM informer told me of set-up says Singh

By Robert Clarke

Military historian Gaylord Kelshall says the 120 millimetre practice mortars found in Sadiq Baksh’s water tank can be bought at different army surplus and collectors’ stores all over the United States and United Kingdom.

Kelshall said yesterday 120 mm mortars have been in use since World War II, and those found on Wednesday could have been brought into the country at any time over the past 40 years.

Yesterday, Commissioner of Police Hilton Guy told reporters he was informed by senior Defence Force officers the missiles were training devices and could not explode.

On Wednesday, police and army were called to the Palmiste home of San Fernando West MP Sadiq Baksh where two missiles and five kilos of cocaine were discovered in a water tank.

Kelshall, the curator of the Chaguaramas Military History and Aviation Museum, said any collector or museum could have them. “They even make replicas for the drawing room,” he said.

Kelshall said practice ammunition is always painted blue. He said there is no explosive inside the mortars.

He added that prior to the passage of the Firearms Act of 1970, T&T citizens were permitted to collect such ammunition.

“And I think they still are now,” Kelshall said. “A Customs Officer might panic, but they’re harmless.”

The Chaguaramas museum does not have any 120 mm mortars.

The Regiment said yesterday it will dismantle the mortars to check model and serial numbers. The numbers will be forwarded to police and then Interpol to find out when and where they were bought.

Messages In This Thread

Cocaine found at Sadiq Baskh residence
UNC: ‘PNM’ informer revealed plot against Baksh
PNM informer told me of set-up says Singh
Re: PNM informer told me of set-up says Singh
UNC calls for FBI and Scotland Yard
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com