Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

The economic debate

This is a simple matter (i think ) that I would like our economist to answer. Why can't the US dollar be altered to ease the burden on local consumers in the face of our growing food, materials, medicine and consumer goods prices? Recently, in the Business Guardian Centrl bank governor Ewart Wiilliams said if the oil price crashes he would depreciate the dollar. Now we are experiencing the opposite. In the last week the oil price reached US$78.00 a barrel. Goldman Sachs are predicting $95.00 by christmas. Yet importers still have to fing 6.34 to get one US. Would a simple solution be to lower the rate so that the goods and services from abroad can be reduced. And don't talk to me like Yetming did in an interview on Friday with Morgan Job that we have a 'managed float'. By all means we can do away with the float managed or not if we have to.
Also, before I go, would somebody please tell me why in these times of plenty we are stll paying 15% VAT. So please Mr Enil, Manning, Pantin, Shah, Dookeran, Abdullah and even the proponents of the CSME why can't our dollar to the US be reflective of our Caribbean neighbours. Tell me.Please.

Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com