Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Indian And Black Relations

I was not born or raised in Trinidad and Tobago. Most "Trini's" that I have live in the U.S.. Most of them would be considered "Black" by U.S. racial classification. The first time that I met someone from Trinidad that was Indian, I was not only shocked, but curious to know more about the country that my father and grandmother had immigrated from. The questions began. That side of my family considered everyone from Trinidad Trini. I recalled my father speaking to a Pakistani lady in another language and being in awe. Pakistan and India were once one country for those who don't know so therefore it is not totally strange that she (the Pakistani- American coworker of my girlfriend) would not understand what my father was saying, but praise him for some song he had learned as a boy in Trindad. To my father in regards to Trinidad and Tobago, anyone representing the red,white,and black regardless of race was Trini. He showed no malice or ill will that I witnessed toward other groups. If anything, my American side was more biased and assuming.

As I asked questions and conducted my own research, I was appalled at the Idea that Indians in Trinidad and Guyana didn't want any biological and cultural assimilation with any other races other than theirs.

Well, I was not totally appaled. I am from the United States. The History of my country and some current day scenarios have always portrayed those of African heritage to be weaker then than those of European. The European in this country has gone out of his way to alianate any other group of people in order to assert his self perceived domminance while preserving his self constructed and biased legacy under federal and state mandate. Interacial marriage between people of African and European Heritage had been outlawed for over a hundred years. In some States interracial couples couldn't get married until the early or mid 1970's.

Why is it that in Trindad with only a handfull of people of direct European decent do Indians feel the need to adopt these xenophobic attiudes from their former European oppressors towards Those Trini's of African decent?

I could understand if Indians didn't want to interacially marry. I don't believe that anyone should be forced to do anything beyond reason. However, is it beyond reason to allow two people who loe one another be allowed to coexist in self segregated society? Why is it a self segregated society? The reason why is that people are two focused on where they have been or come from to allow themselves to grow or go into the future. Indians are no better as a people than any other group. Neither are East Asians, Native Americans (including Caribs, or Arawack).People are people in every group. Some will live productive lifestyles, and some will not.

Why is it that some Indian parents feel ok about their children marrying people of European decent?

To me it's all stupid. Thats just my opinion about a country that promotes diversity and claims," Together We Aspire, Together We Achieve". You've only aspired to be like an imperfect nation and achieved the same amount of corruption, deciet, and exploitation of customs and values tha the United States has.

Thats alright for a yankee, but ask yourself if it will and is alright for a Trini? Get it together T-N-T. Do it together. Thats the only way to survive and remain Trini.

I'm not saying that everyone has to go out and "mash" it up with one another, but at least you can treat, respect, and honor one another with the pride and dignity that each and everyone of ou deserve. You have to live there, not me. However, if it were I who had to live in a T-N-T, I would make the best of it without bias inorder to achieve the best life for me, my family, and community. It is your responsibility as a human first and a Trini second.

The U.S. could be better, but is already considered the best by many. Trinidad is good right know, but it is not the Best Trinidad and Tobago could be. If I'm wrong, I appologize. I apologize for holding Trini's in such high regard.

Messages In This Thread

Indian And Black Relations
Re: Indian And Black Relations
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com