Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

June 18,1837.. Makandal Daaga *LINK*

I myself am Fransisco de Mendoza of the order of the Capuchin Fathers of Santa Maria of Aragon, recently arrived on this island named for the Blessed Trinity. I myself will now record for posterity the events surrounding the execution of the Black soldiers who rose in rebellion against civil authority and are now dead, may the good God bless their souls.

I now proceed to record this remarkable event which occurred in the night of the 17th and morning of the 18th of June 1837, the mutiny of some newly imported Africans who were enlisted in the First West Indian Regiment. This revolt was led by a singular being called Daaga, otherwise Donald Stewart.

I myself came into contact with him whilst accompanying the antiquarian Lanza Joseph, a Jew, of His Britannic Majesty's Kingdom, who had obtained permission from Col. Bush to interview the renegade after his trial. This interview was conducted through an interpreter. It would appear that Daaga was the adopted son of an old childless King named Madershee, who ruled over a tribe called Paupaus, a people settled in an area close upon that of the Yaradas, there being a state of war in existence between these two for generations. The man Daaga appeared to be a prime example of the type of warrior chief that might be chosen to lead a race constantly at war with their neighbours. Standing six feet six inches, he was not so much muscular but projected in his manner to a singular degree the union of irresistible strength and activity.

Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com