Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Re: The games people play part 2

I recognize Mr.Glovers accomplishments and I do aggree with most of what you posted in your last response. However, everything that Mr. Glover has accomplished is in the past and was from past cocepts of this nation and it's outlook on race.

I'm not bragging about my personal accomplishments in no way. I am just trying to highlight, that if I can do it, I don't see why others cannot accomplish at least the same things. I would hope that others would try to succeeed my accomplishments because they have not put a dent in the national average when one examens race racial percentage to econmic growth. This is the ovement that I'm talking about. It cant be identifiable just like our government or it will be recognized and destroyed by our government. Thats not a dream.

I agree that currently race does matter more than culuture in reference to minorities especailly blacks here. What I'm am trying to say is that we as minorities don't have to subscribe to the unwritten confines and boundaries of white America. They have set the framework up for globalization and thus have opened the door wide open for us to move through and take over our own fates. Race only matters if you let it and thats my message. Try to understand, that the majority of the population goes to integrated schools. Try to understand that these boundaries of race don't effect the social interactions of students in class. Try to Understand that most college grades have gotten jobs after college by networking with their former classmates. If you have been in class with somone that produces good marks and has accomplished much, then you know that if your a forward thinking individual, that you want somone like that in your corner.

Maybe it is me, but I don't see how anyone can just assume anything about anyone in today's society. You have clearly noted with the spending power of African Americans that there can be a better use of resources.

Iam not denying that race officially matters more than culture, I am just saying that that philosophy is the only thing that keeps it official and that it is deteriorating as people interact and become more aware of their self made cages. That why I'm against the big tidal wave of immigration that we have right now, because I believe that the social fabric is not giving itself a chance to heal. It's like lifting weights. When you work out, your muscle rips inorder to grow. In order for that muscle to get stronger, it has to have down time or the ability to rest so that it can recconect/ heal. This country has never had that, and probably never will, so eventually I may alter my personal policy on immigration.

The tree is growing taller. I recognize it. You recognize it. I'm no Harvard scholor ( even though I could have been had I wanted to).

That brings me to the next point. Here, we have the freedom to do what ever it is we want to. That means, that we have the freedom to not achieve. That will continue to be the trend if we allow the slavery of the past prevent us from achieving our future. The race issue is an construct of reality tool to help groups of people subscribe to the instituyion of placism that keeps the motion of the revolving door in the ghetto moving. Social constructs of reality aren't necessarily real. They are confines to prevent people from acheiving. I'm sure you remember the slogan after the early 90's movie, "White Men Can't Jump". That was interpreted by people to be real. I know that it is false because I have seen "white" people dunk. Once I was dunked on by a "white" guy. The there where t-shirts that came out "black Guys Can't Read". I only saw one of those, and the guy who was wearing it thought it was so great. He was walking and getting angry looks from "blacks" in the mall. As he approached , I said ,"Black Guys Cant Read" and walked by him. You see I didn't have to respond to the social construct of what a "big Black Guy" would do in that situation, I only showed him how stupid (if he could grasp that concept) how inappropriate that shirt was. If I would have subscribed to the social construct, then I would have been in jail or even prison for assault or murder. That would have been contradictory to my goals.

Last, I would like to say in closing that yes to an extent race matters, but it doesn't to the degree that you may think and it doesn't have to in the way we allow it. Cultural unity by greater social interaction can help break down these social stereotypes and confines that we live our lives by. I don't want to be around somone who doesn't want anything out of life. That doesn't mean that I don't want to be around People of African decent. If I say that I want to live in a wealthy neighborhood, that doesn't mean that I doesn't mean that I want to live around any particular group of people. Glover's self awareness is good for Glover, but looking like myself in my opinion is nothing to feel down about. It should not make me not want to challenge this unwritten system.

Messages In This Thread

The games people play part 2
Re: The games people play part 2 *LINK*
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com