Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Re: dangered Indian excerpts from.....

Mr. Panday and a contingent of Indians traveled to New Delhi to attend the second Indian Diaspora Day Conference from January 7-9, 2003 a gathering of the world Indian family." At the conference, Manohar Ramsaran, MP for Chaguanas, proclaimed ” We must be proud to be called Indians; proud to hold Indian names. Proud of our cultural, religious, and social customs and you must practice them without fear and intimidation."

Mr. Sharma, a member of Prime Minister's Round Table Discussions on Race Relations, said: "…...devote more time and focus discussion on the problems of people of Indian origins… ." I wonder if our affluent and not so affluent blacks can say they are Africans with the same degree of pride and confidence as their Indian colleagues?

At the conference, President Jagdeo of Guyana accepted an award from the Shri Atal Vajpayee, Prime Minister of India. No one has uttered derogatory remarks about his receipt of this award. Compare this reaction with the contempt that Indians and Africans showered upon President A. N. R. Robinson when he accepted chiefdom from an African state. Such is our self-contempt, we couldn't get enough kicks out of Chief Olukim and his staff.

I wonder how many members of Parliament can say, I am proud to be an African; I must respect African names; I must be proud of our cultural, religious and social customs. But then, Indians are Indians; Africans are Trinidadians and Tobagonians first.

Messages In This Thread

dangered Indian excerpts from.....
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com