Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Manning must protect his borders.

Ever since I was a little boy Barbados and Triniad and Tobago were always engulfed in some controversy. Between these two leading Caribbean Islands a healthy rivalry, it would seem to establish who is the better island. Some of it took place on the sporting field others were diplomatic rows. Now this flying fish controversy is threatening to really tear us apart.
As I see it bajan flying fish is now been caught in Tobago waters. It would seem that because of some so far unexplainable reason they have developed a home in Tobago over Barbados.
Of course Arthur's people do not like that and they believe that the fish belong to them so they go after it. As a result a diplomatic spat has developed with Arthur's men still believing that it belongs to them. So Trinidad after years of being subjugated to the same type of relations from their Venezuelan counterparts are locking up the Bajans. Unlike the Venezuelans though the Trinis are not locking them up sometimes for weeks, beating our abusing them. This week they sent two fishermen home with their catch untouched. I gather that at times in the past their catch was taken and then they were sent home to Arthur flying fish less. Arthur doesn't like that so he seems to be embarking (against the rules of Caricom)on a trade embargo. The most surprising thing to me is that the Trinidad government seems to be comatose. It seems that the business community who benefits from the Barbados relationship is holding the country to ransom. As far as I am aware Barbados has nothing that Trinidad is in dire need of. This begs the question then what is responsible for Mannings in action? As I see it Arthur is running loose and unless the Manning government stands up and protect our shore line he would continue to do so. I have my sympathies for the Bajans but whose fish it is really? Does it give one island the right to walk in the other and do what they want? Never mind how we think of Caribbean unity the fact is we have borders and they must be respected at least until we remove them. Come on Mr Manning time to act in the interest of your people even if it means stepping on a few corns and hurting a few of your businessmen.

Messages In This Thread

Manning must protect his borders.
FISH DISPUTE SPIN OFF
Re: FISH DISPUTE SPIN OFF
Arthur gunning for TT a long time
Fishing, border pacts not on agenda
Bajans file fishy claim
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com