Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Modest Lara boosts Windies *LINK*

BBC

Brian Lara did not realise he had broken the world record for most Test runs in an over when he smashed 28 off Robin Peterson on Sunday.

Lara's fireworks at the end of the third day, when he hit two sixes and four fours in the over, were the highlight of a superb unbeaten 178.

He guided his side past the follow-on total as they finished the day on 363-6, 198 runs behind.

"I had no intention of going for it," said the West Indies captain.

"I just wanted to get as many runs as possible."

Lara said Indian duo VVS Laxman and Rahul Dravid, who hit 303 for the fifth wicket against Australia in Adelaide on Sunday, had inspired him.

He said: "India are playing the best team in the world and we are playing against the second best team.

"I used some of India's strength. We are the underdogs and we need to fight."

When he hit the first ball for four me and [captain] Graeme [Smith] both thought, 'He won't try it again'.

Robin Peterson on Brian Lara, who hit 26 off one over
Day three match report
For Peterson it was a day to forget.

The 24-year-old spinner was only playing in his fourth Test match and had respectable bowling figures until he conceded 26 in his final over to end with 76 from 13 overs.

Peterson said: "When he hit the first ball for four me and [captain] Graeme [Smith] both thought, 'He won't try it again'.

"After the second ball we looked at each other and thought, 'He won't try it again'.

"After the third ball we thought, 'He definitely won't try it again now'. Unfortunately we thought that all through the over."

He said: "Hopefully I'll learn from it and be a better bowler as a result."

Messages In This Thread

Just when they thought Lara was over... *LINK*
Lara hits his way to new Test record *LINK*
Modest Lara boosts Windies *LINK*
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com