Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Politicians remember Arnim

THE SUDDEN death of Opposition UNC Senator Arnim Smith hit far and wide across the political spectrum in Trinidad and Tobago. Though they had differing memories of the late senator, who died of heart failure yesterday morning, several prominent politicians all shared a deep sense of loss over Smith’s passing: Dr Linda Baboolal (Senate President): “I am shocked and saddened by Opposition Senator Smith’s death. I heard on the news that he was admitted to St Clair (Medical Centre). I wanted to visit him that night, but I thought the family would have liked their privacy. I thought today (yesterday) I would go down and see him and then I got a call that he had died. I was saddened by this news. I would like to extend sympathies to his family and the party (UNC). He spoke for the grassroots people in the Senate. I thought his contributions were good. He dealt with issues in a very simple and grassroots manner. The people who knew him well, they would miss him.”

Basdeo Panday (Opposition Leader): “If I had a son, I would want him to have all the qualities that Arnim possessed. He was strong, courageous, fearless. He had all the qualities of a good man. I leaned on him on several occasions for strength. His loyalty was unquestionable. His fearlessness in Parliament was limitless. The party is going to miss him. He will not be an easy person to replace.” Joan Yuille-Williams (Community Development Minister): “The Arnim Smith that everyone knew, respected and cared for, was at one and the same time a passionate political opponent both on the hustings and in the Upper House, as well as a warm and caring person in the privacy of true friendship. We shall miss his giant of a presence at all these various levels.” Franklyn Khan (PNM Chairman): “I think he has served this country well in the steelband movement, as a politician and a community and public officer. The PNM and the Government mourns his passing.” Ramesh Lawrence Maharaj (Team Unity Leader): “The death of any senator is a sad occasion. He made a very important contribution to culture. He ought to be remembered that way.” Bro Noble Khan (Independent Senator): “Whatever he said came from his heart. The country has lost a great person.”

Messages In This Thread

Arnim Smith dies before 58th birthday *LINK*
Politicians remember Arnim
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com