Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

'I saw Akiel in the pool' *LINK*
In Response To: Nobody drowns quietly ()

THE AKIEL CHAMBERS INQUEST
Former classmate admits... 'I saw Akiel in the pool'

By FRANCIS JOSEPH

DARNELL RILEY was the first witness to state yesterday that he saw Akiel Chambers in the swimming pool at the home of Charles and Annelore James at Balata Terrace, Haleland Park, Ma-raval, on May 23, 1998. Riley, 15, giving evidence in the inquest into the death of Akiel in May 1998, said that he saw Akiel in the swimming pool wearing a red and white swim trunks. He said Akiel had earlier told him that he was not allowed to bathe in the pool that day. Although Akiel was his best friend, Riley said he never asked him what he was doing in the pool. They were about two feet apart in the shallow end of the pool. Riley who was a class mate of Akiel at Blackman's Private School at the time, also stated that he saw Akiel arriving at school on two occasions with another student Mikhail Young in a car driven by Patrick Young.

Riley is a Form Three student of Tranquillity Government Second-ary School and lives at Prizgar Lands, Laventille. He was one of three witnesses to give evidence yesterday before Coroner Sherman Mc Nicolls at the Port-of-Spain Eighth Magistrates' Court at the inquest into the death of 11-year-old Akiel Chambers whose body was fished out of the James' pool on the morning of May 24, 1998. Desmond Allum SC, Dr Kenneth O'Brien, and Donna Prowell are representing the Chambers' family, while Sgt Kenneth Cordner is the prosecutor. Hearing resumes today. In 1998, Riley attended Blackman's Private School, Saddle Road, Maraval. He considered Akiel his best friend, although he did not know where Akiel lived. He said Akiel used to travel to and from school every day. “He never told me where he lived and I never asked him.” Riley said Akiel used to arrive at school with the Youngs. When asked by the Coroner how he came to know that, the schoolboy said he used to be in the school yard when the Youngs arrived. Both Mikhail and Akiel sat in the back seat, he added.

CORONER: As best friends, what did you talk about?

RILEY: We used to speak about television shows.

CORONER: Did Akiel ever tell you about anybody in particular?

RILEY: No.

Riley said he received an invitation from Carrie James for her 11th birthday party at Maraval.
He said Akiel also got an invitation because they spoke about it. Riley went to the party with his father Terrence Mc Clean. They got there around 3.30 pm.

“As I entered, I saw Akiel close to the kitchen door. He was just standing there. I spoke to him. I told him that I was going to change my clothes. He said his aunt told him that he was not to go into the pool. I went to the changing room to the back of the house near the swimming pool.”

Riley said he saw some of his classmates. He remembered seeing about 10 of them with about three to four adults. He recognised Patrick Young, Trevor Craigwell, and Mrs James. He continued, “As I was about to enter the pool, I noticed Akiel walking around the pool. He appeared to be sad. You see, everybody was having fun and he wasn't. I did not ask him anything. He was wearing a green pants, rolled up to the knees.” Riley told the Coroner that the pool was very clear and that he was able to see the bottom. When he came out of the pool for the sticking of the cake, he did not see Akiel. The other children also came out for the cake-sticking ceremony. The parents had been supervising the children. They were also talking, but Riley could not say if they were drinking. After the cake was stuck, the children returned to the pool.

“I saw Akiel enter the pool. He had on a red and white swim trunks. That was around 5 to 5.30. I did not see him during the sticking of the cake. We did not speak in the pool. I did not ask him anything. He was about two feet away from me. He was just standing around. I know it is very unusual for someone to be just standing in the pool doing nothing. I couldn't swim too well, I don't know if Akiel could have.” Riley said he came out of the pool, leaving Akiel and some other children behind. Riley dried himself and changed his clothes. He then went into the games room where he saw Carrie James and other children.

Some time later, some of the people were enquiring about Akiel. “I went outside and I looked into the pool. I could not see the bottom because it was cloudy. I looked to see if Akiel was in the pool because that was the last place I saw him. My father and I waited for a while before we left.

CORONER: Is there anything about Akiel you would want to tell us?

Questioned by the prosecutor, Sgt Kenneth Cordner, Riley described Akiel as being very quiet and not a person who appeared to be in any discomfort.

PROSECUTOR: Did you tell anybody that you saw Akiel in the pool that day?

RILEY: I am not sure if I told anybody. I think I may have told my father. I am not sure if I heard anyone speak about it.
Questioned by Allum, Riley could not remember seeing Mikhail Young in the pool.
(Within minutes, Riley became weak and had to sit. A glass of water was provided for him before he had to leave the court room to go to the washroom).
On his return, Riley said it was very difficult to see the bottom of the pool.

CORONER: Did anyone tell you what to say before you came to court today?

'Akiel was not in the pool'

FORMER class mate Ramiese Mahadeo said yesterday that he missed Akiel Chambers during the sticking of the cake. But he was certain that Akiel was not in the swimming pool. He said the pool was clear and if there was anything at the bottom, he would have seen it. Ramiese, 15, is a Form Four student of Trinity College, Maraval, and lives at St Vincent Street, Port-of-Spain. Ramiese also attended Blackman's Private School in Maraval and was a friend of Akiel Chambers.

CORONER: Did you know Akiel well?

RAMIESE: Yes, we used to sing a lot in school. I was into music, Akiel was into music. We used to sing Bob Marley tunes. I did not know much about him. I knew his mother lived abroad. I knew he was staying with his aunt.

Ramiese said he received an invitation to attend Carrie James' birthday party. This was the third invitation he received, but the first he accepted. On May 23, 1998, his mother Eichelle took him and his six-year-old sister Paige to the party. On arrival, Ramiese said he saw his class mates. He went straight to the living room where Carrie showed him the big screen television. “I changed my clothes and went into the pool. There were other children in the pool. There were other children out of the pool. I saw Akiel near the bar close to the pool. He was sitting down. I swam to the deep end of the pool and I gave him a bounce. “He came to the pool. I asked him if he was coming in. I told him to hurry up and change his clothes and come in. He said he couldn't come in. He did not say why. He moved from the bar and sat on a table by the parents.” Ramiese said sometime later, everyone was eating barbeque. “I saw Akiel sitting close to the edge of the pool. That was the last time I saw him. He was watching everybody. It was obvious that he was disappointed that he couldn't swim.”

CORONER: Did you know how Akiel got to school?

RAMIESE: I don't know how he got there on mornings, but he travelled on evenings. I cannot say if anyone gave him a lift. Ramiese said sometime later, the children were summoned from the pool to cut the cake. “That is when I realised that Akiel was missing. I asked, 'where's Akiel? Go and find him.'” Ramiese said the search started after the sticking of the cake. He remembered Carrie's mother saying that no one is to go into the pool. “Some of the children went next door. Carrie said Akiel was talking to the neighbour's grandchildren. I went with some of the children next door but we did not find him. We came back. My mother spoke to Mr Craigwell. The parents were looking into the pool. The pool appeared to be clear, I was able to see the bottom. There was nothing in the pool. If Akiel was in the pool, I would have seen him.” Ramiese said when he was in the pool, he was diving all around and if there was anything there, he would have seen it. He searched the changing room, next door, inside the house, and down the road, but found nothing.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/stories.php?article_id=9718

Messages In This Thread

AKIEL CHAMBERS INQUEST *LINK*
Re: AKIEL CHAMBERS INQUEST *LINK*
James: Akiel did not drown in my pool *LINK*
One year after Akiel died... *LINK*
Coroner: Did Akiel leave with you?
Nobody drowns quietly
'I saw Akiel in the pool' *LINK*
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com