Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Poverty

We are a tiny Nation consequential to ourselves and our continued existence. Our size, population and abundant natural resources would suggest that the presumption of Christianity as a fabric of our existence would manifest itself into us becoming a model society. Far from it.

I am yet to understand how in this much enlightened era, we willingly embrace filth at all levels of our National life. Greed is not incidental it is deliberate, when is enough, enough? And how and when do we prioritize the plight of the poor? I submit an unpleasant observation.

There is a prime piece of real estate that existed before Independence that has grown and continues to grow quite unabatedly. We recognize and have legitimized it's existence and to the ruling class, it is a National treasure. As many of you have suspected, I am referring to the Labasse, our Labasse.

We can boast that we have made this site, home to abject poverty; a much better place to live. For whom I ask, for whom? Their share of our National resources is limited to an existence that fosters societal disorder. They appear for the moment, to have resigned themselves to the cards that they were dealth and the quality of their existence, it is as if nobody cares. Is this how it is done in a God-fearing country? Where are the Christians? What are our excuses? Is this something of which we should be proud?

The ruling class appears to be oblivious to the plight of the residents of the Labasse whose lives have been devalued, and who exist at the whim of political opportunists. The only constancy between these two elements is that at some point in time they will eventually die. Meanwhile, the saga continues. Who was it that said, "Poverty has a special scent to it?" We lack a strategic plan for enhancing the quality of life for those who need it most and "Poverty" is in it's way.

Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com