Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Crime Fighting

Since the beginning of Mr. Snaggs' tenure as the new officer in charge of the Police Department, I have been heartened by many of the actions taken but also bewildered by the amount of negativity many writers attribute to programs being implemented to stem proliferation of crime.

Everyone is entitled, as am I, to opine what routes should be taken to arrive at a relatively safe environment. With regard to the appointment of a Commissioner of Police, if "sources" are correct, it is ludicrous for the administration to advance the theory that if Mr. Snaggs is kept dangling in an acting capacity he will be inspired to perform at a higher level than if he were appointed now, because he will be inspired to prove his worthiness. Balderdash! How in heaven's name can intelligent people, especially those entrusted with running a country, make the ridiculous assumption that insecurity can engender efficiency and creativity?

In order to motivate managers confidence must first be conferred upon them. That will allow them to make tough and perhaps drastic changes in operations relying on the convictions inherent in being "in charge." The administration, by signaling its reluctance to approve Mr. Snaggs promotion, alludes to his unacceptability. Therefore, by what stretch of the imagination should one assume that the citizens will see him as anything but unqualified? Consequently, whatever action he takes will be received with skepticism. In addition, his subordinates are less likely to give him their respect, support and loyalty because they will view him as transient and as powerless as a "toothles tiger." Either appoint the officer to the position or hire someone whom the Prime Minister will approve. The fallacious reasoning should not be allowed to prevail.

In March of this year, I had used this forum to advocate greater police presence and cited the effectiveness of the show of force at the last Carnival celebrations. I had also suggested "Establishment of a pilot program utilizing mobile offices (site trailers) ...These modular structures would serve as 'depots' and allow manpower to be more readily available where needed." Needless to say, I was delighted to learn of plans to use mobile units. I make no assumptions that this project emanated from my suggestions.

It is interesting to review some of the critiques. For example, deeming petty the crackdown on dark tinted auto windows; condemning roadblocks and helicopter surveillance is a ploy; suggesting that it is wasting valuable time by arresting drug addicts.

My view is that having overlooked "small crimes" for all these years, the impression was conveyed that the state was blind to enforcement. Such a perception fostered anarchic behavior. There is an apt cliche "Give them an inch and they will take a mile." When one person illegally erected a tent in one area of Port-of-Spain, some would have considered it petty to dismantle it. One squatter was joined by another, then yet another and now that it has become a "shanty town" it is likely that some of the same people who would have considered eviction of one "trivial" are among those screaming to rid the city of the eyesore; for years police failed to patrol the highways adequately and to make a serious attempt to curtail speeding. Now that vehicular accidents are claiming lives at an alarming rate, the public, who had hitherto assumed that defective vehicles, drunk drivers and reckless driving was "no big thing", now expect a solution overnight; when the "differently abled people" began their protest outside the compound of the National Flour Mills to highlight their just cause for employment consideration, instead of the matter being dealt with quickly and some concession made to satisfy their plight, the Flour Mills were neglectful and allowed it to become a cause celebre which exacerbated the problems for the police. Surely, as a state entity, someone in government should have been astute enough to rise to a higher level of responsibility. These references should make it clear that when problems are ignored in their embryonic stages, they develop into uncontrollable monsters.

The COP must draw from his experience and ingenuity to devise strategies which would seem workable. It would be naive to expect that success will attend every effort but to ridicule him for being innovative is beyond fairness. If there were no criticism there would be no improvement but it would be helpful to hear possible solutions as well.

In addition to the game plan already publicized, and in deference to those who have espoused similar ideas, following are imperatives:

1) Highway patrols. I had posed previously that during the day "motorcyclists can be assigned to travel in opposite directions, turning at designated points, crossing each other at frequent intervals, with short stops at vantage locations for surveillance." At nights patrol cars with flashing roof lights should be used. At lease, for starters, this could be done on the Churchill Roosevelt Highway, which seems to be one of the main arteries on which fatalities occur, and from which logistical projections can be determined. In the USA , speeding is curtailed because of the specter of State Troopers/City Police and everyone knows that they are ever present.

2) Establish, immediately, an Internal Affairs Unit, or whatever name might be appropriate. It is absolutely necessary to have an elite division to "police the police." From what I read, almost daily, many members of the public are convinced that there are pockets in the Police Service that aid and abet the lawbreakers, therefore, citizens deserve the commitment that something tangible is being done to allay their fears. The division must have a degree of autonomy otherwise the members of the team could be compromised too easily. For those who would argue that "you can't trust anyone" I resort to my admonition "you are not the only honest person in the world."

3) Borrow a page from the New York City Police Department, as established by Commissioner Bratton under Giulliano as Mayor, to hold all division heads accountable. The system of COMSTAT worked so well for New York City that it is being embraced by most of the states. I am sure that the COP is aware of this program and I urge that every effort be made to embrace it.

4) Give the Police Department the technology necessary.

5) Last but most important, the Prime Minister must demonstrate his commitment to the people whom he swore to protect and defend, maybe in words paraphrased, by ensuring that the necessary funding is allocated to accomplish the task at hand. Forget about all the frivolous excuses that budgets must be approved because I am sure that the system under which the country operates can take care of whatever monetary contingencies are necessary.

It is time for elected leaders to shed their self-woven cloaks of infallibility and condescension akin to noblesse oblige and commit themselves to empower law enforcement agencies to attack the task at hand. This government is in charge because the electorate believed they could do a better job than their predecessors. Failure to make manifest a valiant effort to do so will only prove that "talk is cheap."

Selwyn P. Nimblett
Brooklyn, N.Y.
selwynpnimblett@aol.com

Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com