Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

No website at T&T Counsul's NYC Office

There is no doubt that T&T offices overseas are intended to perform important services. Appropriately, the focus is on diplomatic alliances, trade, industry and commerce, and tourism, among other things. However, adequate attention is not given to one of the country's most valuable assets, its citizens abroad.

At the outset, let me say that my observations and opinions are in no way aspersions directed to the loyal staff who operate the foreign offices, after all, they do not make the rules. On the contrary, this critique is a challenge to the administration.

It is impossible for me to fathom why, in this era of technological advancement, the T&T Consul General's office in New York City is still operating, in one particular aspect, as though it were in the horse-and-buggy age.

Why does the Consul's office not have a website in order to facilitate access to information on a 24-hour basis? It would not be acceptable to say that the government cannot afford it because websites can now be established very inexpensively. It would be equally unsatisfactory for those in authority to offer the defense, as they are wont to do, that "we are a small country."

As far as passport applications are concerned, the absence of a website perpetuates an antiquated system. The New York office serves an expansive geographic area, including other states, making it inconvenient to go to the office to pick up passport application forms. Consequently, a telephone call to the office will elicit the advice "write a letter requesting the form you need and enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope." Then, frustration results after you specifically requested two forms, affixed the additional postage but receive one form only.

The procedure should be brought into this century without further delay by establishing a website, and by placing the forms and instructions in the system to be downloaded with an Adobe Acrobat Reader, or similar software which is free. It is irrelevant that they use forms with two or three-colored copies. White copies appropriately noted will be no less effective, therefore, any attempt to use that as an excuse would demonstrate an unwillingness to accommodate. This need for change should not result in promises and xcuses ad nauseam.

There is no free lunch. Obviously, the administration has statistics giving the approximate number of passports that are processed through the New York office annually. Therefore, once the cost of establishing and maintaining the website is known, it would be feasible to apportion some of the costs to the applicants as part of the fee. I am sure the increase will not be significant and people would be willing to pay for the convenience.

Updating forms and instructions on the website will also be cost effective because when amendments are made it would not be necessary to reprint as great a number of forms as would normally be required. Of course, everyone does not have or use a computer. Therefore, those excepted individuals would continue with the present system. Eventually, they will be few and bar between as more households go online.

Why accept the challenge to make things easier for nationals in foreign countries?

Citizens residing abroad invest in T&T's future by maintaining houses and other properties; paying taxes, financially supporting families and relatives, and participating in business ventures. They stimulate exports and have a positive effect on the balance of payments by generating demand for T&T goods, including a myriad of food products, soft drinks, condiments, canned juices and alcoholic beverages. They travel frequently and by using BWIA as their airline of choice, they help to sustain that carrier. While they are visiting, they spend hard currency which makes them analogous to the tourist. Is it not prudent to cater to them?

I have confined my comments to New York City but I feel sure the same is true for other cities with large concentrations of Trinbagonians both in and out of the United States.

Trinidad and Tobago should look for every reason to become more citizen and access-friendly, and should not try to defend the status quo. The country wants "Developed Nation Status" and this would be a good step towards that goal. It's time to follow good precedent.

Selwyn P. Nimblett
Brooklyn, N.Y.

selwynpnimblett@aol.com

Messages In This Thread

No website at T&T Counsul's NYC Office
Re: No website at T&T Counsul's NYC Office
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com