Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Arnim has a gun

Arnim Smith

By GYASI GONZALES, http://www.trinidadexpress.com/

UNITED NATIONAL CONGRESS chairman, Wade Mark, yesterday condemned a police search of a car being driven by fellow senator, Arnim Smith, during a roadblock along the Southern Main Road, Curepe, on Friday night.

Contacted by the Sunday Express yesterday, Smith said a constable asked him to pull aside and then asked for his driver’s permit and car insurance.

Smith alleged that while the constable was looking at the documents, another officer approached and told him, “allyuh does be kicksin’ in Parliament”.

“I told him that he have to know his place,” said Smith.

The senator said the officer then ordered the constable to conduct a body search on him.

Smith continued, “I was able to find out that ACP Allard was on the scene and I left my car and explained to Allard how this man want to body search me.”

Smith was eventually not searched, but his car was. He said he had earlier declared that he was in possession of his licensed firearm, and had all his relevant driver’s documents.

But when he returned to his car, he said he found the engine off (he had left it running) and the keys were missing.

Smith explained that the police gave him a ride home where he got spare keys and returned for his car.

He yesterday denied police allegations that he did not want to stop his car when asked by one of the officers to do so.

“I have no problem with stopping,” he said.

Mark said yesterday the UNC had absolutely no problem with the police executing their duties in an effort to maintain law and order.

“But it has to be done in the framework of observing the citizens fundamental rights and freedoms as enshrined in the Constitution,” he added.

Mark continued, “We strongly condemn and totally oppose the use of roadblocks by members of the police service to politically harass, intimidate and victimise members of the opposition.”

Messages In This Thread

Arnim has a gun
Arnim surrenders his gun to CoP
Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com