Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Vision 2020

As we pursue "Developed Nation" status by 2020, it is apparent to me, that although it is a firm commitment to realize a particular objective, this effort is fraught with historical dangers. One must be practical, as the fact of the matter is that we must define the model that is being south, in layman terms.

Once the components are identified, we will observe that their roots have been imbedded in numerous societies for centuries. And like "Democracy," they cannot be transfered, they must evolve.The fact that we have been successful copycats in minor social endeavours, is no reason to be overly optimistic in pursuit of this particular objective.

The multi-sectorial group could play a pivotal role if the politics permits, however, I know very little of it's chairperson Mr. Arthur Lok Jack to determine if he can be described as a visionary. And if he is resilient enough to stay the course.

There is in my judgement, a glaring omission that is consistent with our National mindset and that is, that as we recognize that the needed components were developed external to our shores, we have neglected to utilize the talents and experiences of our Nationals who reside abroad and who have successfully adjusted and in many instances embraced the very characteristics we now seek. To be insular or shortsighted is tantamount to inviting failure. Similar sub-committees should be established globally where there are large concentrations of Trinis, as this would provide insight and a sense of unity which is absolutely necessary.

There is more to be said on this matter, but I hope that someone else will pickup from where I have left off and expand on the area that I view to be essential and extremely critical. And that is the issue of our National attitudes as a people. If the attitude remains the same, we will have failed long before this exercise is completed. And then there is the politics. Personally, I applaud the consideration but less than enthusiastic about realizing the stated objective in such a short time span; if at all.

Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com