Trinidad and Tobago Bulletin Board
Homepage | Weblog | Trinbago Pan | Trinicenter | TriniView | Photo Gallery | Forums

View Trinidad and TobagoTriniSoca.comTriniView.comTrinbagoPan.com

Trinidad and Tobago News Forum

Gus Logie for West Indies Coach

The Sports pages of West indian newspaper are screaming this morning with a story about Bob Woolmer wanting to coach the West Indies cricket team. Woolmer, an Englishman, has been interviewed by Chairman of the WICB Wes Hall, and, Chairman of the selectors the incomparable Viv Richards. From all appearances he seem to be campaigning and packing his bags to be headed to the region. I however, hope that it is not a done deal. Here's why, I favor our very own local and regional boy Gus Logie who is also reported to be high in the running.

Woolmer as experienced and qualify that he is does not know what it is to be West Indian , he cannot carry on with the same pride and conviction that Gus could. Remember it is the pride more than anything else that Viv and others have been talking about that is lacking in the modern day players. Woolmer, I am sure is well schooled but we West Indians are not as conventional as other cricket teams. We as the Jamaicans would say'"lick ball" like only we and I am afraid Woolmer could herald an end to the West Indianness of the West Indies team. Logie on the other hand is quite different he has dedicated his life to the game. When he retired (a bit prematurely I think) he didnot sit down and mope around like some of his contemporaries, he went back to Austrailia on his own and studied the highly touted Austrailian academy under Rod Marsh. Today everybody in the region is trying to establish an academy. Gus then show extraordinary vision.
Add that to the fact that many of the players in the team have been under Logie's tutelage over the last few years. They are his children and the graduation from the junior to the senior level should be natural.

Finally Gus Logie knows what cricket means to the region. He has walked the walk. He is a product of the glory days under Clive Lloyd and Viv Richards. Bob Woolmer could infact be apponited coach and set us on the road to glory but I think a Logie appointment means more for the region that just playing the game that is why he has my full endorsement.

Trinidad and Tobago News

NOTE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107 this material is distributed without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this information for non-profit research and educational purposes only. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond fair use you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

Copyright © TrinidadandTobagoNews.com